Saturday, March 31, 2012

Too Far

You know how in the middle of your run you feel so good, and it's so nice outside, and you're just listening to your music so you don't want to turn around and you end up running farther than you should?

Yeah, I did that today.

I went out for a 1:35 run, and for some reason I turned around at 1:00? Um, ok, math wizz! To be fair, it was uphill on the way out and I knew the way home would be faster, but not that much faster!

It was a good run. It was so warm and beautiful outside! I ran by temple square at about 7:30am where it smelled heavily of flowers, and people were already gathering for General Conference. It's always cool to see the masses who come from far and wide for this event!

I ran up City Creek, and kept my heartrate around 157-160 most of the time, which is running pretty hard for me. At least for that distance.

I was tired today, and kept having the urge to stop and walk on the way up which I usually don't have. Don't worry, I didn't do it! :)

I think I was extra tired because I did my long ride yesterday and rode up to the top of Little Mountain for the first time in a loooong time! I had almost chickened out and turned around before I got to the top because I was afraid I would run out of time, but I decided to go for it even if it made me a few minutes late since I'd already made it so far.

On my way up the switchbacks, as I was moving along at a very slow and steady pace, a guy with one leg dpassed me! Seriously! That was so inspiring!

I'm so glad I stuck it out and made it to the top!


There's a sign up there about the Mormon Pioneers who crossed this mountain, along with Big Mountain, just before entering the Salt Lake Valley. It boggles my mind every time I think of what they accomplished!


I had dropped Elle off at a friend's house, and George was taking a nap at home while Pete was working so I wanted to get back before he woke up, and had told them I would ride for 2:30.

I got to the top of the mountain in 1:36 so I had about 50 minutes to get back down. I wasn't sure if I'd make it, but I ended up getting back to my car (which was getting it's alignment fixed while I rode) in almost exactly 2:30! Sweet!

It was a hard ride, and the hardest part isn't even the mountain, it's going up 800 South where it is so steep I had to stand up and didn't know if I would make it. But I did make it! And it's so much fun to come back down! So fast!

Even though it was a hard ride, I didn't really think it had affected me that much until I got into bed last night. Then I realized my legs were sore. Then in the morning, I just had a little bit of a harder time on my run.

It ended up taking me 43 minutes to get home from my run instead of 35 which I guess isn't that much longer, but that last mile was particularly hard, and I had to slow down a bit. I just felt like I had given it all I had and there was nothing left. When I caught myself thinking this, though, I forced the thought out of my mind and pushed on. I realized that the mile closest to my house is always the hardest mile, no matter the distance. Crazy how that works!

I ended up doing 9.37 miles in 1:43 which is still a lot slower than I want to be, but I'm going to try to be patient!

Really, if I would have turned around 5 minutes sooner, the timing would have been perfect. Oh well. I was just happy to be home!

Now it's time for bed, and my legs are pretty sore. I plan on doing a lot of sitting around tomorrow since it's General Conference. If you've ever wondered what we Mormons believe, this would be a great chance to find out in the comfort of your own home. You can stream it live from lds.org.

2 comments:

  1. I left my house at 7:30 and ran through city creek, too! I went up 300 north, past the capitol, down memory grove, made a couple of loops up the hill and down, then home through the conference chaos...and the last 1.5 miles were awful. My pace was slower than I wanted, too...but there were hills! Right?

    Anyway, it was fun to read your entry and see we were in the same spot at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend's training anyway. Nice to see the photos from the climb, looks scenic, if you could enjoy it whilst riding up the mountain!

    ReplyDelete