Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Come Swim, Bike, Run With Me!

SWIM

This morning I dragged myself out of bed at 5:45 (was supposed to be 5:15) for Masters for the first time in a while. I almost slept in more, but George was kind enough to wake up and make me get up. I fed him then hurried and ate, then just sat there for a minute debating.

Should I go? Would it be bad for my wrist? Would more sleep be better? I had pretty much been awake since 2am with Pete coughing. Plus it was dark and cold outside. Going back to bed sounded so good!

But I knew that I wouldn't really get to sleep that much more. The kids would be up and demanding attention in about an hour. And I knew I would feel so much better if I went. I always do! So, I stopped thinking about it, grabbed my bag and just headed out the door.

It really wasn't that bad getting there. It's always harder in my mind. And, you know what? It didn't hurt my wrist at all to swim today! It was great!

I managed to do 2000 yards even though I was 15 minutes late. The coach said they haven't even gotten up to 2000 yards in the evenings when they have the whole hour. Nice. :)

Do you want to learn to swim, or get better at swimming? Maybe your New Year's Resolution is to be able to do a certain number of laps. Or are you just looking for a good workout?

If you live close by, come to Masters with me at the Northwest Rec Center! It's at 6am every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I'm usually the only one there in the mornings which is awesome to get the coach to myself, but I'd love to have some swim buddies! He's also there in the evenings at 6pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Plus, there's another coach who's there every day at noon. Lots of options here.

There's no extra cost, just the price to get into the rec center. I just renewed my annual pass, and now is a great time to do it because they have a 10% holiday discount! I think I paid $171 for the year (I paid for swimming lessons for the kids at the same time so I'm not sure the exact total...), but you can also go month to month or just buy day passes.

It's been really fun for me so far and I'm excited to work hard and get faster!

BIKE

Last night I was on an event registration kick.

I signed Pete and myself up for The Front Runner Century on April 28. You can either do a 62 mile (100k) or 100 mile route to Ogden where you get to have lunch and ride the train home. What could be more fun than that!? I wanted to do this ride last year, but didn't feel like I could get ready in only 3 months after having George.

The route goes right by our house, and I actually ended up directing them a little bit last year.


Ok, yeah, it snowed last time, but that doesn't mean it's going to snow this time. April is so unpredictable. It could just as easily be beautiful weather!

So, I will be getting the old trainer out soon and getting back on the bike. I haven't ridden at all (other than my cruiser) since Utah Half in August!

Want to do this ride with us? (Come on, it'll be awesome!) Sign up here. Make sure to put "Colleen" in the team field at the bottom of the form so I get credit for you. :) The price goes up from $40 to $50 March 1st.

RUN

I also signed up for a run this SATURDAY! It's the New Year's Revolution Run. The cool thing about this run is that it's whatever distance you want it to be. It's at the Olympic Oval so you don't have to worry about the cold or the bad air. It's chip timed so you don't have to worry about counting laps either. It benefits the Autism Council of Utah and the Utah Food Bank. Every lap you run gets you an entry into prize drawings, and you can get extra entries by bringing food for the food bank.

5k = 11.3 laps
10k = 22.6 laps
Half Marathon = 47.75 laps
Marathon = 95.5 laps

I think I'm going to shoot for 30 laps which is a little more than 8 miles on the 442 meter track since I haven't really done many long runs lately.

So, who wants to do this run with me?! It's $40, but use the discount code "nyrten" to get $10 off. Again, don't forget to choose "Colleen's Team" when you fill out the registration form. Sign up here.

I'll be choosing which tris I want to do this year soon too, so stay tuned. What races are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment