Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ethan's Birthday

Yesterday was a really fun day. There was a metric century going on in the morning, and I volunteered to direct cyclists at an intersection a few blocks from our house. It was really cold, and snowing so I felt bad for the people doing the ride as well as the race organizers. That's got to be one of the hardest things about being a race director, you just can't control the weather.

You can't really tell in this picture but big fluffy snowflakes were falling. It was really quite beautiful and I was grateful to have a reason to be out in it for a little while. It didn't, however, make me wish I'd signed up to ride 62 miles in it. My post was only about 2 miles into the ride so they were pretty fresh when they passed me. I hope it wasn't too miserable for them. Some people went all out with their gear and were even wearing face masks and ski goggles, but I was surprised at how lightly some of them were dressed. I saw one lady with just shorts and leg warmers, and I could see her leg sticking out between the two. I was kind of doubtful that she would make it, but who knows.

There was also a little reverse tri at the rec center a few blocks from my house that I almost signed up for. I was glad I didn't. Even riding 10 miles in that wouldn't have been my favorite.

Anyway, I was really glad to help out even in a small way, and it really just put me in a great mood to start the day off.

We went to Heber to celebrate Ethan's birthday at my dad's house with my family. Here's the cake I made:



Isn't he a cute shark?




I'm pretty proud of it , even if it didn't turn out quite as good as the one I got the idea from. I used the lemon cake (tinted blue green) as the water and the red velvet as the shark. I thought the lemon one turned out really good, and ate way too much of it!

Ethan had fun and got some great presents including a nice new helmet to go along with his new bike. (sorry, I don't have a picture of either of theses...)


Sadly, my camera is missing, so I only have iphone pictures lately. I have no idea where it went, and really hope it turns up somewhere. This is my second one to get lost/stollen.

I had a good time hanging out with my sisters. We did our nails and sat around chatting while George slept and the guys went to the bike shop to get Ethan his helmet. Later I also went for a walk with my sister, Katie, even though we had to brave the frigid wind. It was funny because we had our hoods pulled down around our faces so we could hardly see. It was good to get out and move a little, though.

Then my dad watched the kids for us so Pete and I could go out. It was kind of a late anniversary gift. We really hadn't been out on a date since George was born so it was really really nice. We drove up Dutch Hollow just a little bit because it was really muddy, and just got out for a minute. It made us excited for trail running this summer, and reminded us how much we love Midway. We decided to make it our 10-year plan to move there. It's crazy that in 10 years (as long as we've been married) Mindy will be almost 19, and probably away at collage. How does time go by so fast?

We also had dinner at our favorite restaurant, Tarahumara, in their new Cantina section which is actually the bar, but it was nice because hardly anyone was in there, and no kids. If you're ever in Heber/Midway, you should go there, and get the shrimp tacos. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment