Monday, October 24, 2011

There's A Light At The End of The Tunnel!

I've spent this last either week being sick or taking care of a sick baby so I haven't had time to write.

It was so weird because as soon as we got home from the 5k on Saturday, Pete and I both started sniffing, and by the time we went to bed, we were both full-on sick. I took Sunday and Monday off to recover. It was weird because it was my abs and back sore. I don't know if that was from the cold or from the race...

Tuesday I walked/ran 2 miles with the stroller running group (We started our couch to 5k plan over since we got a new girl who had just had a baby 6 weeks ago), then I ran 3 more with one of the girls to make a total of 5 miles. It was funny because everyone else was still there when we got back so we still got to sit, stretch and chat with them which is the best part of having a running group!

Wednesday, the kids were home from school for Fall Break, and I was going to go swimming. Pete was home so I just put George down for a nap, then waited for him to go to sleep, but he just wouldn't stop crying. I don't know how long he cried, but it seemed like a long time to me so I went in to check on him and he had thrown up in his crib. I picked him up, but I couldn't get him to stop crying. Finally he threw up again, all over me, and Pete came and put him in the tub. That calmed him down a little, but he was still so sad! Well, swimming was out. I couldn't even put the poor baby down. After holding him while he cried for a while, I decided to try taking him for a walk and that calmed him right down! Whew. The kids came with me and we went to the park.

Thursday George was still really super sad, but I remembered my trick from the day before, put him in the stroller and headed out for a run. He slept the whole time. The kids came with me again, this time on their bikes, and we went to the park with the track around it so I could run around with the stroller while they played. This works out so well, I love that we have this park a mile from our house! I did 30 second on/off bursts of speed trying to go as fast as I could (usually in the 7:00-7:30 pace range) then recover. This is such a hard workout, especially with the stroller! I wanted to do it for 15 minutes, but only really managed 12 or 13. Still good, though.

Friday I was so proud of myself because, despite George not sleeping well, I got up and got to the pool by 6:30. I really want to get better about going swimming! It was so good, and I'm so glad I went. I was able to get a pretty good workout in and still be home by 7:30, and George woke up right when I got home so it worked out perfectly! Again, I love where I live because we have a pool half a mile from the house! After everyone got up and ready, I put George down for his nap and left him with Pete so we could go to the clothing swap Mindy's ballet studio was doing as a fund raiser. It was pretty cool, we left with a bag full of stuff. I got several new shirts which is nice because I've been needing new clothes, but don't have the money to spend on it right now! We also went to Costco. Fun fun!

Feeling exhausted from George being sick and so needy, I thought I'd go to bed early that night, but every time I try to go to bed early I jinx myself and end up having a terrible night! This was no exception. George hardly slept at all. He seemed to be feeling better during the day and we'd get glimpses of our little happy guy back every once and a while, but he woke up every few hours during the night and one time he was up for about an hour just crying and he threw up again. It was so sad.

Saturday morning I wanted to do my long run, and I really didn't want to take the stroller, but I knew it would make George feel better so I took him. It wasn't that long of a run, and having the stroller was probably good because it helped me not worry about going fast. I ran 6.5 miles and it took me 1:10, but it was good because George slept so peacefully the entire time, and at least half an hour more after we got home. He really needed that! During his afternoon nap, Pete kept the kids downstairs and took care of George when he woke up so I was actually able to take a 3-hour nap. I needed that! :) We both felt much better after that. We still kept George home from church on Sunday, but last night he went to bed like a little angel and he has been so happy today! Yay! I was beginning to worry that he would never be as happy as he used to be again. That would be so sad.

Now, to get to the title of my post! Hahaha

I got up early today and was going to go run on the track at the gym, but I didn't end up getting out in time and the kids wanted me around while they got ready for school so I waited. They rode their bikes to school and I ran with them. George was still asleep so I left him with Pete (who was also still sleeping) and I felt like I was flying without the stroller! It was fun! Mondays are my 400 meter (.25 mile) interval workouts and this is what my intervals were today:
  1. 1:57.2 - 8:00.5 pace (this one was a tad short....)
  2. 3:36.1 - 8:42.6 pace (umm, accidentally didn't push lap so this one includes recovery)
  3. 1:59.2 - 7:56.2 pace
  4. 1:54.2 - 7:33.5 pace!
  5. 1:49.8 - That's 7:22.4 pace!! (WHAT!?)

These felt hard, but awesome at the same time! If that makes sense. I feel like this speed work I've been doing is actually working and I can very vaguely see the light at the end of the tunnel! I might actually be getting faster! I mean, I can hold a 7:22 pace for a quarter-mile at the end of an interval set! I can't believe some people can run a whole marathon at that pace (or faster)! I'm not going to focus on that, though, I'm going to focus on the fact that I've never been able to do this before and I'm happy.

When I was about half a block from home, I saw the guy Pete carpools with pulling up. I hurried home, thinking Pete would be waiting for me and wondering where I was. He came out by himself. A little confused, I asked him how George was and if he was still sleeping. He said, "I guess so. I was just going to leave, I thought he was with you." Yikes! I will never sneak out and leave George while Pete's still asleep again! I didn't have keys or my phone so it was really really lucky that I got home when I did because I would have been locked out and the baby would have been in. Crazy! I just thought George would wake up before Pete so not knowing he was there wouldn't be an issue! Anyway, everything turned out ok, and George even slept for another half hour, until 9:15! And he's been so happy today! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment