Tuesday, February 4, 2014

We Can Do Hard Things!

This weekend was great but also a little stressful.

I went for my long run on Saturday morning after putting it off for a few hours because my Achilles was feeling a little tight. By the time I left, it was feeling fine, but I still decided to stick to the usual 5 miles instead of the 6 I had planned on, and to take it pretty easy. We had a light dusting of snow so that was really pretty, but also gave me a reason to be extra careful how I stepped. I love running on the Jordan River Parkway, it's like an oasis in the city!


I usually would see someone else's skid mark ahead of time to warn me of upcoming black ice, but I did slip 2 or 3 times. Luckily I didn't fall, which is amazing considering I fall even without ice! Here's one of the warning markers I involuntarily made for those who would follow me:


I had a good run, felt great, and managed to negative split the way back which made me happy!!

We had a great day hanging out with my family for the rest of the day.

On Sunday it became evident that Ethan had a book report due the next day that he hadn't even started, and in fact, he hadn't even finished the book! Pete wasn't feeling very good either so he just stayed home with the boys and I took the girls up to Snowbasin.

It was fun to go up with just the girls! We did one run on the bunny hill to warm up and they both did great!


So we decided to do a bigger run, and since I don't know this resort very well, and all I've done is go up the gondola to the very top and come down, that's what we decided to do. Yay, here we go!


I should have looked at the map first, though, because when we got to the top we saw that there are no green runs from the top, only blue. On the way up, Pete had sent me a text warning me to only take them on the green runs because the blue ones are much harder. Oops!! Well, I told them we would work our way to the green runs farther down and just take it easy on the blue ones. They were both ok with this and excited to go, so off we went.

At first it wasn't too bad. We even found some powder, which was fun For Mindy and I, but Elle was not impressed! Here she is laying in the powder with Mindy following her down. We had to do a little bit of hiking out of that soft snow, but that was ok.


Then we came to this steep section where I told the girls to go ahead and scoot down on their bottoms if they had to. I think Mindy made it down standing up, but Elle took my advice to scoot. But they made it, and it wasn't too big of a deal. It was so beautiful up there!


Elle kept falling, and she was getting cold and tired, and it was all just piling up on her. Poor girl. She finally just sat down and started crying and it took a lot of convincing for me to get her to go on. This happened 2 or 3 times, and after the first time, Mindy just went ahead of us and we didn't see her again until we got to the bottom. She had asked someone for the time so she knew that she beat us by 20 minutes.

Finally, we got to where we could see the road so I kept telling her that we were almost there! She had a lot of people helping her out there which was a good comfort to me to know that if we had really been in trouble, we could have gotten help right away. She had two guys, at separate times, give her a little pull or a push after she fell over on in a flatter area while I was out of reach. Poor Elle kept saying, "I want to go home!", "I want Mindy!" and one time, "I want Georgie!" Then we got to the bunny hill and I reminded her that she could do this, and it was no big deal. I don't think she fell at all once we got to the bunny hill! Then we were down, and there was Mindy waiting for us!  Whew! It had taken us about 2 and a half hours.

I know how it feels to be tired and cold and frustrated so I know it was not easy for her. I felt bad for bringing her up there when she wasn't ready, and for just not being a very good guide since I didn't know the resort very well. But I'm hoping she learned a good lesson: That she can do hard things, even when she thinks she can't do them. (I don't know how many times she said, "I can't do it!") The hard things in life are the things that make us stronger and they are also what make life more exciting! I hope she was able to learn that, and that she was proud of herself for making it down! I was sure proud of her!


(I also hope she wants to go snowboarding again after this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment