Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Running With Strollers

I'm still here, and still working on my running. It's been fun to do shorter distances and to do intervals because then I get to feel fast even if it's just for 2 minutes or whatever. I've actually gotten to where I can do my 400s at about 7:30 pace and that feels really good! Of course that also makes me feel like I'm going to puke, but you know, those feelings are so similar. ;)

Recently I decided I wanted to start a stroller jogging group so I talked to some of the other moms at church and at Elle's preschool. I was surprised and excited by how many people were interested in doing it!

Today was the first day we met. I was so excited to have 5 other moms show up! It was cool to see 4 mini vans parked outside my house, and a line of strollers going down the street. Most of the women who ran with us haven't been running lately or at all, so we decided to start with the Couch to 5k training plan.

The first workout is a 5 minute brisk walk to warm up, then alternating between jogging for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds for 20 minutes. I think this was really good. I want this to be fun for everyone and not get anyone burnt out. We're hoping to find a 5k at around Christmas time to do together.

I led the way and watched the time to tell everyone when to start and stop running. We ended up turning around later than we should have so we walked for a while once we finished the running. It was really fun to just hang out with those women and get to know them a little better. I really hope I can help them learn to love running! It was also really cool that we covered 2.4 miles. That seems like an awesome start.

We're going to be meeting every Tuesday to do the first workout of the week, and everyone is going to do the other 2 workouts on their own.

I'm still sticking to my schedule: speed work on Mondays and Thursdays and a long easy run on Saturday. Of course I still haven't done a long run since Utah Half, but I'm excited to start that up again! (I wonder how long of a run I should do on Saturday...) Tuesdays are an easy 4-7 mile run so I'll just add a few miles after the group run.

I'm really excited about all this! If you want join our running group, just let me know.

1 comment: