Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mindy's First 5k!

Our Stake put on a little 5k on April 21.

I was totally planning on running it, and seeing how fast I could do it. But then I had a couple friends who wanted to run, but didn't have anyone to watch their kids. I told them that I'd come prepared to run, but that I'd stay with the babies if there was no one else there to do it.

I ran 10 miles the day before so I didn't really feel like I needed to run, then I woke up with a really scratchy throat and runny nose so I just decided not to run. It turned out that I was needed to sit with babies anyway so I'm glad I didn't plan on it! The kids came down with me. I had asked Mindy if she wanted to do it, and she had decided that she wasn't going to do it. But then we saw one of her friends (who's actually a year older), and she was going to do it with her mom. Again I asked Mindy if she wanted to do it, and she said, "no." There was a bunch of hustle and bustle before everyone lined up to start. Then I looked over and saw Mindy on the path with her friend! She had decided to do it. It was awesome because she was just wearing jeans, but that was no big deal!

I sent Pete the word that she was doing it, and told him he should come down and watch her finish so he joined us. It was nice to have another set of eyes watching the kids too! 

The 5k was a 2-loop course. When she came around the first time, she handed me her jacket and asked for a drink, then headed out on her second lap, walking.

I was so proud of her when we saw her running by herself at the end! It turned out that her friend had stopped to walk, but she wanted to run to the finish so she did!


She finished in about 50 minutes which I think is awesome for a 9-year-old!


She's planning on doing another 5k with an after school program she's doing called "Girls On The Run" next month. They just meet every Friday afternoon, and she's gone 2 or 3 times. I've signed up as a buddy and will run it with her. I'm excited to do that with her and see how she does with a little more practice!

I ended up feeling better a little later in the day, and very inspired by all those people who did the 5k! Plus it was such a beautiful day so I did go on my long ride in the afternoon. I did 40 miles in 2:30, which was really good since the Frontrunner Century was the next weekend and I felt like I needed a few more miles under my belt!

I felt sick off and on for the rest of the week. I still don't know if I was actually sick or if it was allergies. I took Monday and Wednesday completely off so I didn't end up swimming at all last week! Tuesday was our last trainer ride class so I had to go to that! It was a great workout and I felt great, so I'm glad I went. They made breakfast burritos for us at the end too which was awesome! Our teacher, B.J. will be doing St. George Ironman on Saturday so good luck to him!

Anyway, I'm feeling mostly better, but still wake up with a really dry, conjested throat every morning so I don't know what the deal is. It seems like I turn the alarm off every morning and get back in bed, but I've managed to drag myself back out of bed and get back to training as usual this week. Once I get going, I feel fine except that I was really slow at my track workout yesterday morning. :( That was hard. I'm hoping I'm still just a little sick and will be back on my game soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment