Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Joys of City Life

Today, after church, we did our usual have lunch then make the kids play downstairs so we could take a nap. I only laid down for about an hour 1:30-2:30, then I got up and went to get on my computer. Well, the laptop was gone. The first thing I thought was that Pete just moved it, even though I couldn't think of when he would have done that since he laid down before. I didn't worry too much about it, and just went about my day making snacks and cleaning up the kitchen.

When Pete got up he said, "Where's your computer?" and I said, "That's what I was wondering." So, it wasn't him who had moved it. I had already asked the kids and they didn't know anything about it. They never move the computers so I never really thought it was them. Then I noticed there was this gas station fountain drink cup sitting on the desk where the laptop should have been.

Hm.

It was getting water on the papers on the desk so, without thinking, I just took it too the sink and dumped it out. Pete said, "You might not want to touch that very much." I was like, "Oh, right." and put it down. I felt so dumb, like one of those people in the movies who come onto a crime scene, see a knife and pick it up. Hello!

Anyway, Pete called the police and they came and looked around, got all the info, took pictures and dusted for prints. It was not easy to keep the kids from touching everything. Our house was crime scene! The crime lab lady said she got a pretty good print off one of the cords that was plugged into the laptop.

Oh, and they took Pete's laptop bag.

Oh, and they took my camera that was sitting right on top of the laptop because I had just imported all Min's birthday photos onto the computer. I'm so sad that I won't have a picture of the pretty barbie cake I made for her! We're hoping it got backed up automatically onto our other hard drive before it got stolen, but it would have been asleep so I don't know if it does it when it's asleep. We'll see.

Right now I just feel really . . . I don't know the emotion. Violated. Shocked. Scared. I can't believe they just came into our house in the middle of the day while we were there! I'm just so glad it wasn't someone wanting to take or hurt the kids. The policeman said that kids have been taken in the middle of the day while their parents are napping like that. So scary. So, yeah, I'm not loving our hose here in the city right now. I miss Heber.

1 comment:

  1. That is so scary! Sorry that it happened to you. So glad you or your kids weren't harmed.

    ReplyDelete