Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thankful

What a wonderful holiday weekend this has been! I can't even tell you how nice it's been to be able to sleep in until 8 or 9 every morning for 5 days! I'm so thankful to my children for letting me!

This year we had Thanksgiving at my house which was a first, and it did make me a little nervous, but it was also really good to have a deadline for getting the house clean! The kids helped out a lot with the cleaning, I was pretty impressed and happy about that. On Wednesday they cleaned the bathrooms and the downstairs while I made pies. Yeah, sure, they didn't get everything clean to the standards I would hold for myself, but I don't think I could have gotten everything done on my own either. Besides, the best way to learn how to clean a mirror or a toilet is by doing it yourself, right? I'm very thankful for my children and that they (can be) so sweet and helpful. I'm sure they'll be really great little helpers when the new baby is born.

We had my dad, stepmom, two sisters and brother-in-law over so it was nice to have family around, but it wasn't too overwhelming. Plus, everyone brought something so all I had to make was the mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (without the whiskey), and pies. I did an apple pie (which my sister voted to be the best out of all the deserts), two pumpkin pies (made from our halloween pumpkins!), a french silk pie, and mini pumpkin cheesecakes. I think I over-calculated how much pie would get eaten because we had a lot left over! But at least there was a good variety for everyone to choose from. Even my sister who doesn't like pie liked the french silk one so that was a win! I'm so thankful for the bounty of food we always have, along with the bounty of love in our wonderful family.

I'm thankful for a wonderful husband and that he has a good job where he doesn't have to work on the holidays and is able to spend time with his family. We had a lot of fun as a family this long weekend from going to the Children's Gateway, ordering pizza and renting Toy Story 3 on Wednesday to going to Tangled 3D and out for Indian food yesterday. It's kind of sad that the weekend's almost over and we have to go back to our regular, up at 7am, routine tomorrow, but it will also be good because we have not been eating very well this weekend, and I'm hoping the routine will help get us back on track!

I'm also very thankful that, because Pete has such a great job, I don't have to work, and that I'm able to stay home with my kids every day. What a blessing that is! I've been blessed to be a stay at home mom ever since I had my first child, but for the past 3 or 4 Black Friday's I've gone to help out at The Children's Place where my sister is a manager. It's crazy and tiring, but it's also fun and exciting to be working all night amidst all the excitement. I was glad I wasn't working this year, but I had a hard time doing nothing on Friday. We put up our Christmas tree and I did a bunch of cleaning before I realized that my feet hurt and that I was doing more than I'm used to anymore, so I sat down and read my book for a while. I'm thankful I was able to do that! :)

I haven't been to the pool since last Saturday, but I think I've been busy enough to justify it. I'm thankful that I'm healthy and that this pregnancy is going so well. I really don't like being pregnant, but I know it could be a lot worse! I'm thankful for this pregnancy, and that we will be adding another person to our family in 6 weeks!

I'm thankful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm grateful that I have his teachings in my life, that I know about the atonement and have his example to follow. I hope, by following that example, I can be a good example to my children.

I have a lot to be thankful for. I try to remember these things year-round, not just on Thanksgiving, but I do love Thanksgiving and think it's wonderful that we have a holiday where we celebrate all the blessings we have. I hope we can all keep our hearts thankful throughout the year. It really makes for a much happier life!

Pete taught the lesson in Elder's Quorum today in church, and the lesson was from President Thomas S. Monson's conference talk: The Divine Gift of Gratitude. I wanted to share that with you:




Click Here to read this talk.

Now, who wants to come over for pie??

No comments:

Post a Comment