Monday, July 2, 2012

Hot Town, Summer in the City

Oh MAN, it has been so hot these past few weeks! I had one recovery week after the half marathon, then 2 good hard training weeks that were just that - hard! I did miss my long run last week because I slept in then it was just too hot and Pete went out of town, and I think I missed a swim, but that's it.

I felt slow alot though. I went running at 5am a couple times, before it was even light, and it was still too hot! I didn't realize how much the heat affected me, but my heart rate goes up and my speed goes down and I just want to die! I skipped the run on what was supposed to be a brick on Saturday because, again, I slept in and didn't leave on my 3-hour bike ride until 9. I did not want to go out and run at noon when it was 97 degrees out! Plus I was just so tired. I pushed hard on that ride, and it took it all out of me! I rode 51 miles, and I'm just not used to that anymore. I need to get working on that!

Complain, complain, complain.

Sorry about that.

I really am happy and I'm loving this summer! The kids and I are staying busy going to the library, the zoo, tracy aviary, Wheeler Farm (today) and Seven Peaks waterpark (every single Friday so far!)! I love it, and don't want it to end even though it's hard for me to run in this heat. I love that it's light enough in the mornings for me to run AND swim before the kids wake up, then I have the rest of the day to spend with them! Pete said it was like a 3 month vacation with 4 of my favorite people, and that's so true!








I'm also really excited for my first tri of the season on Saturday!

I've just spent went back and read over my last 3 tri reports: St. GeorgeEcho and Utah Half to kind of remind myself what to expect and to make some goals for Saturday.

I'm doing the Olympic distace San Rafael Classic Triathlon, and I have really no idea what it's going to be like. I've never talked to or even heard of anyone who's done it, and I can't find any race reports about it or anything. All I can get from their website is that the swim is in a cute little lake that is about 70 degrees now, the bike is 30 miles out and back with a "hill you won't soon forget" (whatever that means), and that the run goes around the lake. I don't know how hilly the bike or run are, and I'm not sure how big of a hill that's going to be on the bike.

So here are my goals:

(First of all, let me just say that I'm so glad I'm not nursing George anymore because I won't have to worry about him starving while I race like I did last year, but I am sad my sweet little guy is growing up so much!)

Goal A: Finish in under 3:15 (Ah! That seems crazy long, but that's giving myself :30 for the swim, 1:40 for the longer-than-usual bike, 1:00 for the run, and :05 for transitions.)

Goal B: Finish the race and have FUN!

We are going to be camping so I hope that goes well and that Pete has fun with the kids while I'm racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment