Saturday, July 28, 2012

You'd Think I Was Training For Kona

Ok, you really wouldn't ever think that about me. But why else would I go out on my long bike ride during the hottest part of the day?

Lets start at the beginning of the week.

Saturday afternoon, Ethan came down with a fever of 104. Pete took him to the doctor and she he'd get a sore throat and be better in 3 days. Sure enough that's exactly what happened.

Monday, I was going to do a short run and make it to masters swimming. I ran for 30 minutes, ending at the gym, but there was no one there to open the gym! There were people sitting around waiting so I sat down and waited for 10 minutes before I decided that I could be running while I waited so I ran for 20 more minutes. When I got back, it still wasn't open so I just went home. I wouldn't have really had time to swim now anyway. I was going to swim Tuesday while the kids were at swimming lessons anyway.

Oh wait, Tuesday was Pioneer Day so they didn't have swimming lessons, and I wouldn't have time to swim! These middle of the week holidays just throw me off!

Tuesday Ethan was pretty much all the way better, so we went and watched the parade. It was very hot and we did a lot of walking, but my kids were troopers! I went out for a quick ride with intervals when we got home since I had slept in and missed my bike/run brick that morning. Then we got ready to go to my dad's for the holiday. While I was doing my hair, Mindy came to me with the thermometer, and sure enough her temperature was 102! Poor girl had to miss the trip to Grandpa and Grandma's house and she was very sad about that!

Mindy's third day was the day I took George in for his 18 month checkup. He and Elle both had to get shots too. That was not fun. Then we went and got ice cream to make everyone feel better.


Of course, George just wanted to eat my cone.


It was Thursday so that was really good for Elle's sore leg (from the Tetanus shot) to go to swimming lessons. Unfortunately, Pete didn't get home in time to take George so I just went and played with him in the water instead of swimming. That meant no swimming at all this week for me, though. Sad. Luckily that's my strong sport so I am trying not to worry about it.

That evening George got the fever (and I know it's not from the shots because that's not supposed to hit for 4 or 5 days, so we have something to look forward to there). We had a rough night, but I still managed to get out on my long run at around 6am. It was such a nice morning with a beautiful sunrise and some light rain! I brought my fuel belt, and was immediately soaking wet because the bottles were leaking so badly. After a couple miles I realized that the back one was even missing the top! Arg. After only about 3 miles, I was out of water so I decided to just do 2 loops of 6 miles. When I got home from the first loop Strava said I had done exactly 6 miles in one hour. Perfect, so I would just do that again! I dropped of the fuel belt and headed back out. But this time, when I got back, it said I was only at 11 miles. What's up with that Strava?! I went out for one more mile, but I was actually happy to do it because that's when the rain really started to come down. It was fun, and it was like 75 degrees so the rain felt really good! I had also tried a hammer gel with caffeine in it when I had about 3 miles left so I don't know if it was that or the rain that made my last mile so much fun when usually it's my hardest mile. I also really liked doing 6 miles loops because then I could just think of it as 6 miles instead of 12 and that made me feel stronger.

12 miles in about 2:10

I spent the rest of the day taking care of George who still had his fever and cried pretty much all day. He also woke up every 2 hours during the night. It was rough.

I couldn't bring myself to leave him for 4.5 hours in the morning when he was that sick, not to mention getting up that early after only getting 4 or 5 hours of sleep total. He woke up at 6:30 and I just could not get him to stop crying so finally I put him in his stroller, gave him some Ibuprofen and took him for a walk. He stopped crying as soon as we were outside. I walked a little less than a mile before realizing he had fallen asleep and turning to go home. I was so tired, I just wanted to lay down and go back to sleep right there! Plus I was so hot, I was starting to wonder if it was my turn for the fever, but it was just really hot outside already. I put the stroller in his room and went back to bed, glorious bed. When he woke up, I let Pete take a turn and ended up staying in bed until like 9:30! That is unheard of for me, and it was nice! George was feeling much better, but still not his happy self so I wasn't sure if I was going to do my ride at all. Finally I decided to head out during his nap and just cut it a little short. That means I had to leave at 1:00 pm! Yikes!

45 miles in 3:48

It was SO HOT. I debated just skipping the run, but ended up just doing 10 minutes fast, then jogging/walking home. I passed a marque that said it was 98 degrees. What am I, crazy!? I know I always think people are crazy when I see them out running when it's that hot, and I'm sure that's what people thought of me. Oh well. I technically got my brick done!

George was pretty happy when I got home. He and Elle are both doing a lot better this evening so hopefully everyone will get a good night's sleep and feel all the way better tomorrow. So far Pete and I have been lucky enough to avoid it. I was kind of planning on getting sick tonight just following the pattern, but I'm doing great right now sitting here watching the Olympics swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment