Sunday, March 9, 2014

Anniversary Trip - Climbing at Red Rocks

Monday morning we ate, packed a few snacks then headed out to Red Rock Canyon (also called Red Rocks by the locals). I was so excited to get out there again. It is so beautiful and totally not how you picture Vegas! :)



We were both feeling sore from the day before. We totally didn't train for this trip, and do not have very much climbing endurance at all. I had also planned on it being warmer here than St. George, but it was actually pretty chilly this day.

I ended up just doing one route on top rope and it was SCARY! Sandstone is really scary to climb on since a lot of the foot holds are just friction, and I even had to do one step up with pretty much no hands! I was on top rope so I shouldn't have been scared. But I still was. Climbing is SO MENTAL. It totally messes with my brain. I did manage to make it to the top without using the rope so that felt really good! But it did take me a long time and stressed me out. :) The best things in life don't come for free I guess.

We moved over and Pete did this really hard route that was super steep and outside his comfort zone! I was very impressed! I didn't even try to top rope that one.



The beauty of this place is so unreal!


After leaving Red Rocks, we drove around a little, finding this crazy tiny town called Blue Diamond and some wild burrows on the side of the road. Both were cool to see. It is a $500 fine if you get caught feeding those wild burrows btw.

Then we went back to our hotel for a little pool time. Yes, I was the crazy lady swimming laps in the hotel pool! I was going to swim against the currant in the lazy river, and that would have been awesome! But at the last minute, we saw that there was another, oval-shaped pool that had one lane line down the middle. I decided to swim here so I could still do my Pace Club workout. It was a few strokes short of my regular 25 yard pool, but it wasn't too bad. I wish I could always do my swims outside!


For dinner we went to The Venetian where we ate at Mario Batali's restaurant. It was really good!




The Venetian is always fun to go into because it's made to look like you're outside in Venice. There's even a canal where you can take a gondola ride, complete with singing gondolier. We didn't do that this time, but that's what we did for our first anniversary, 12 years ago!


After dinner, we went to a bar called Freakin' Frog and met some guys from the party we would be going to the next day, along with a bunch of photographers from the convention. That was pretty fun, and overwhelming with new faces and names all around. But it's always fun to talk to new people, and they gave us more details about the party so we would know a little more about what was going on.

After that, we went back to The Strip and checked out The Cosmopolitan Hotel. There were these amazing pink chandeliers when we first walked in! Haha, Vegas is so Vegas!


They also have this really cool, 3 story bar that looks like a giant chandelier. Very glamorous!




Walking over The Strip to get back to our car. We probably got back to the hotel at around 1 and we very ready to rest and recover for the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment