Saturday, March 29, 2014

Constantly Trying to Manage Inflamation and Expectations

Last weekend I did my longest run since my last half marathon in July (so... 8 months ago). I ran 10 miles, and it was awesome! I got a new timer app on my phone so I also took a few minutes to play with that to get this shot. I kept thinking about just how amazing our bodies are and what they can do. I need to remember to always be grateful for what I can do!


I negative split the second half and beat the goal I made after the first 5 mile loop so I was happy with that. I ran uphill for the first time in a long time so it was a little harder than usual, but also more fun coming back down. I love downhill so much! Is that bad? :) Anyway, my final time was 1:42:24, averaging 10:14 which is not bad for me. My Achilles felt good, but on the last mile my knee started hurting! WTH?!  I haven't had trouble with my knees in a long time. Why is it always something?

I stopped and walked a few times because of my knee, but I was mostly able to keep running, and like I said, I beat my goal and it didn't hurt at all afterwards so hopefully it's not a big problem. My Achilles also felt good afterwards, and for the rest of the day. At least that's how I remember it. I know runners are good at blocking out pain...

Sunday we went snowboarding and I just went down the bunny hill one time with the kids. The snow was really hard and Ethan and Elle both had hard falls and got hurt. Mindy zoomed down 5 times and had a great time, even doing some jumps! But everyone else was done! We are probably done for the season.



Monday morning it was really hard for me to get up for early morning spin class, but I did it! I got to class a little late, but no one was there yet. The teacher didn't ever show up so I put my music on and ended up just chatting the whole time with the one lady who stayed with me. It was still a good workout even if it wasn't what I expected.

That day my Achilles started hurting again pretty badly, and the next few days I was actually kind of limping on it. I swam and babied it and just hoped it would get better by itself and with ice and ibuprofen, but it didn't. Finally, after not running all week, I called the doctor Friday morning and told the receptionist that I didn't know what to do and that I'm supposed to be running a half marathon next week. When she called back, after talking to the doctor, she said she would call over another prescription for Prednesone for me and for me to take it for 3 days then call back to see how I'm doing.

I'm trying to be ok with the idea that I might not be able to do it. I don't want to push myself and hurt myself more. It's so frustrating because I WANT to do it so badly! ARG! I have learned that managing inflammation might just have to be something I have to work on constantly right now, and while I get through this I will also have to manage my expectations of what I should be able to do. Life never seems to be straight forward and easy, does it?

I woke up this morning with my Achilles feeling pretty sore still so I took my first pills as soon as possible. I was worried it wouldn't work for a while, but at the end of the day it is feeling really good! I am really hopeful that it will get better with the help of my favorite wonder drug and that I'll still be able to do the Strider's Half Marathon in a week!

To close, here is a picture I found on my phone. The kids were having fun playing with my new timer app as well. :) Love them!


No comments:

Post a Comment