Saturday, April 17, 2010

Good Training Week & 10 for 10

This is the first week in a long time that I actually did all my workouts for the week! Here's what they were:

Monday: 4.5 mile run with hills
Tuesday: 2600 meter swim
Wednesday: 6 mile run with strides
Thursday: Brick! 13 mile bike/2 mile really easy run
Friday: 2450 meter swim
Saturday: 10 mile long run

That's a total of:

Bike: 13 Mi
Run: 22.5 Mi
Swim: 3.1 Mi

Pretty nice hu? I'm just so happy to be feeling really good this week! It seems like every week I've been sick with something or recovering from something or something. Not this week, though!

Hm, the last time I wrote was Monday. Sorry about that.

I do want to tell you about my swim on Friday. I did a warm-up then a 1500m time trial (that's 30 laps). Like always, when I started I felt like, "Oh man, how am I going to do 30 laps? That's so much!" But I just started swimming and kept swimming, and before I knew it I was half-way done. At around half-way, a guy joined me in my lane and started right with me. I could tell he was a little faster than me, but I tried to keep up with him as long as possible. I actually stayed with him for about a lap, then he started to pull ahead. He only did 4 or 5 laps, then he started doing drills. That actually helped me too because when I saw him doing 6x6s, first I thought, "Ug, I hate 6x6s!" Then I remembered what I learned from doing 6x6s and focused on that while I swam. I was able to keep going strong, and kept knocking seconds off my time which helped motivate me to push even harder.

I finished in 29:11! Wow, that's 31 seconds faster than my last attempt! It feels so good to actually see improvement like that! I love swimming. :)

I had put Elle in the daycare while I did that swim, and when I got her out, she was acting really mellow and sad, and she felt really warm. I asked her if she felt sick and she said she didn't, but that she was just tired. I continued with my plan to stop at Target then pick up Pete's contacts. When I got to Target, she was almost asleep, and I still kind of thought she was just tired, but she said she wanted to go to the store so I just had her lay down in the cart with her jacket as a pillow. I went there to try on a certain sports bra, but I didn't find it, and I hated the ones I tried on. I did end up getting a couple shirts, though, including a tank top that I wore today.

By the time I was done, I could tell that Elle was actually sick so I also grabbed a thermometer, some children's Ibuprofen and some orange juice, her temperature was 102! Yikes. I felt bad that I'd taken her to the daycare, but it just took me so long to even realize she was sick! I was really close to the eye place so I stopped by there still, but just left her in the car. When I got back, she said she felt like she was going to throw up so I brought her back into the bathroom, but then she was ok so we headed home. She fell asleep, but woke up when I moved her to her bed so she ended up watching TV for an hour until it was time to pick Mindy and Ethan up. I left her in the car again when I went to get them, and when we got back to the car she was crying, and had thrown up all over herself. Poor thing! I felt so bad. When we got home, I put her in the tub and that made her feel a lot better. She ended up staying in the tub for over an hour!

I talked to Pete and he talked to his brother who's a doctor and we decided we should take her to the doctor because of the incident on Thursday. What incident you ask? During her ballet class, while I was out in the hall talking to the other moms, I suddenly head Elle screaming. I looked in there and she just had blood all over her, her new tutu and the floor. She had bonked heads with another little girl, and gotten a really bad nose bleed. She was freaking out, and I can't say I blamer her. It was a lot of blood.

Once we got it stopped, and we went to the bathroom to clean her up, she said she felt like she was going to throw up and laid down in the hall while I washed her tutu. She just looked so sad all strewn out on the floor like that. Poor thing. We left ballet a little early, and I talked to her on the way home so she wouldn't fall asleep. After we got home, and she got changed she was totally fine. We had lunch and went on our bike ride. But then, her getting sick the next day kind of made us worry she'd hurt her head more than we though. The doctor said she looked fine as far as that went, though, and that she probably just had a stomach bug. He just said to watch her closely for the next day.

She had a hard night, with a temperature of 103, but after another bath in the middle of the night, I was able to get her back to sleep. She's doing much better, and is actually running around and acting very normal now. Thank goodness.

Today I did pretty much the same route as 2 weeks ago, only this time I didn't run up into City Creek to use the bathroom. I made it the whole time without a bathroom break! Whew!

I felt really tired by the end. Like always, it seems like the last mile is just so hard! I don't know why that is, but I really need to get over it. I ended up taking 2 minutes longer than last time. Dang it! Here are my splits:

  1. 9:24
  2. 9:49
  3. 10:29
  4. 11:33
  5. 11:31
  6. 8:52
  7. 8:31
  8. 9:14
  9. 9:29
  10. 9:43

Total Distance: 10 miles
Total Time: 1:38:41
Average Pace: 9:51 min/mile

Not very good. That run took a lot more out of me than I had expected! I don't know if it was the heat since I went in the middle of the day (it was 66 degrees so I got to wear my new tank top and my short tri shorts, and it felt pretty hot!) or if it was too long since I'd eaten (I was starving when I got home!) or if it had to do with the fact that I did actually do 6 workouts this week and I'm not used to that. Good thing tomorrow is a rest day!

Oh, I almost forgot. I wanted to do 10 for 10 again today since that would be a dollar for every mile I ran. If you have $10 to spare, could you please donate to Operation Jack for me? I'm trying to get 10 people to donate $10 each. That's it. If you are at all interested in helping out those who have Autism, please check out Operation Jack and make this small donation. :) Also, I've recently found out that Sam (the Operation Jack guy who's doing 60 marathons this year), is going to be the pacer for the 3:40 group at "my" marathon (Utah Valley). I guess if you're a female between 18-34, that's the sweet spot for qualifying for Boston. That would be awesome, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself. I'm just going to be happy with 4 hours! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow your trainig makes me feel like a total slacker...but that is the exact motivation I need to get my *ss in gear!!!

    Hope your baby girl is feeling better soon!