Thursday, January 13, 2011

Recipes!

Just so you know, I've updated my Ironman post, adding in pictures. I don't know how I can call myself a blogger and not have put pictures in there in the first place!

Also, just so you know, I haven't had the baby yet. :)

While I'm sitting here timing contractions, I thought I'd share some fun recipes I've been enjoying lately! (I'm so happy to have my appetite back!)



This first one is an vegetarian Indian recipe that is actually from the bonus real of Bend It Like Beckham. If you haven't seen that movie, you should watch it. It's pretty good, and while you're at it, watch how to make Aloo Gobi, then use this recipe to make some for yourself sometime.

It is so good. I've tried making this a couple times, but this recipe is the best I've tried and it turns out so good! It's like you're eating at an Indian restaurant (minus the naan. I just need to learn how to make that good now). Plus, you can feel good about what you're eating while you enjoy it, especially if you make some brown rice to go with it.

Now for Dessert

I actually have two kinds of cookies I've really enjoyed making recently. I need to cut back on making cookies, but at least these cookies are healthy-ish.

First: Oatmeal White Chocolate Chip Craisin Cookies

These were also slightly inspired by RubySnap (formerly known as DoughGirl) with her Audry cookie: "Almond dough packed full of adoration, almonds, cranberries and white chocolate." I usually hate it when people put nuts in cookies, but these cookies are an exception! Anyway...

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup craisins

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat brown sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs, milk and vanilla and almond extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats, morsels and craisins; mix well. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 10 minutes for chewy cookies or 12 to 13 minutes for crispy cookies. Cool on baking sheets for 1 minute; remove to wire racks to cool completely.


Second: Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
(adapted from Martha Stewart's recipe, thank you very much!)

Oh. My. Gosh. These are so good! My mouth is watering just thinking about them...

I made these one day when I happened to have some left-over cream cheese frosting and grated carrots and Elle wanted to make cookies with frosting. They were perfect!

Ingredients

Makes about 25 sandwiches

1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots, (about 3 large carrots)
1 cup raisins (I did not put raisins in mine. Yuck! But, please feel free to put them in yours if you wish.)


Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with Silpat baking mats or parchment paper, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugars and butter; beat until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat on medium speed until well combined.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger; stir to combine. Gradually add flour to butter mixture; mix on a low speed until just blended. Mix in oats, carrots, and raisins. Chill dough in refrigerator until firm, at least 1 hour. (I didn't chill mine. They were thick enough for me for some reason, on the reviews people said it was really thin, so use your best judgment here)

Using a 1/2-ounce ice-cream scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies. Transfer to oven, and bake until browned and crisped, rotating pan halfway through baking to ensure even color, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat baking process with remaining dough. Once cooled completely, use an offset spatula to spread about 2 teaspoons of cream-cheese filling onto a cookie. Sandwich together with a second cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.

(We didn't store these in the fridge because they didn't really last long enough to store. I did only make half a batch with just enough for everyone to have one for family night. And one for Elle and I to "try" beforehand.)

So, there you go. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! And I'll try to stop think about them now. I mean, now. NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment