Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What Now?

So, looking at my results from The Utah Half, it's pretty obvious where my weakness is:

Running.

As if I didn't already know this. :)

The people who win are the runners. Seriously, they do the run more than an hour faster than me! How are people so fast?!

If I want to get any better, I really need to become a real runner. I think that's what I want to work on next. What I don't know is how long I should focus on running. Should I just work on it during the winter then come back into full triathlon training in the spring? Or should I lay off triathlon for a season and really just focus on running for a whole year?

I don't really like the thought of that because I already took last year off triathlon and hated it.

I've thought about signing up for the St. George Marathon in October of 2012, and giving that a shot again. Since it's at the end of the tri season, I could still do a tri, possibly even Utah Half, along with it. Or should I focus on shorter distances to get faster?

I'm also worried about getting burnt out if I run too much or getting injured. I really don't want to get to the point where I hate running. I also want to have time to do other things this winter, like snowboarding so I don't want anything too big too early in the season. I missed it so much last year and am excited to get back into it this year!

The other question is, what distance do I want my next big tri to be? I know I want to do another full some day, but is next year the right year or should I just do a half again and keep working on getting faster while George is little? If I do decide to do a full next year, it will be Vineman, and I'd love to do the buy 2 get 1 free deal they have on registering for that. If 3 of us signed up, we'd each just have to pay $233.33 which is an amazing price for a full! Plus it would just be so much more fun to have some people to train with! Does anyone want to sign up for that with me??

These are the questions.

I know I need to figure this out for myself, but I'd love some feedback (especially from you runners!) on what would be best for me. Or if you have any races you'd like to suggest or want someone to do with you, let me know!

Is it crazy that I'm not even a week out of my tri season and I'm already planning next year? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment