Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pirates and Sharks - Atlantic Beach, NC

Tuesday morning, Katie and I took the kids to the Beaufort peir bright and early to go on a treasure hunt on Pirate Island!




We were really excited for this excursion, but it ended up being a little bit anti-climactic because the island was visable from the mainland and we only road in the boat for about 5 minutes so it didn't feel very exotic. And, as these things usualy are, the scavanger hunt was kind of easy and not very exciting. But we got to explore the (hot) island a little bit, and they each got a bag of "gold" at the end so that was fun.



The coolest part of the trip was getting to see the hundreds of tiny crabs on the beach! They were all over, and they were pretty easy to catch (at least for Ethan, I was fine with just looking at them!).



Elle caught one, but it pinched her so she wasn't very happy about that.


There were also hermit crabs in the water that Mindy really enjoyed finding.



After we went home and had lunch, my grandma came over to go to the aquarium with us. It was really cool! This is an actual sand sculpture!






One of the coolest things about this aquarium is the huge tank with the ship wrech replica and the SHARKS. They had 3 big sharks (a Sand Tiger Shark, a Nurse Shark and ... I don't remember the other one) and a Morey Eel. Ethan was quite impressed! They even had some divers go into the tank and talk to us.



Such a fun day, and it was time for George to take a nap when we got home! Pete stayed with us and the rest of us got ready to go to the pool/beach to show off to Grandma Barb. While we were getting ready, Pete told me to show her that I can do push-ups so I did. I ended up doing 20! I don't know if I've ever done that many in a row before, and man was I sore for the next few days!

We had a nice dinner at home since I was still trying to be frugal and heatly at this early point in the vacation. Of course, this would be out the window by the end as I made 4 batches of cookies, we got ice cream several times, and we went out to eat several more times. Ah well, isn't that what a vacation is for? (Next time I should plan our big vacation for AFTER my big race!)

No comments:

Post a Comment