Monday, October 26, 2009

Modes of Transportation

This morning I really wanted to go for a run, but I had to get the kids to school then take Pete to work. Ug. Ok, here's my rant about Pete's new office building:

A few years ago we were living in the beautiful Heber Valley when Pete got this job here in Salt Lake City. For about a year he commuted, driving the hour in and hour back every day. Well, we got stick of that after a while. We decided we wanted to be able to see him more and be a little more environmentally/economically sound by using less gas. We bought our house here, and sold our car. We still have our Jeep, but we try to use it as little as possible. We can now walk to the store, and ride bikes to the school, library, and parks. Pete bought an awesome city bike so he could ride the 2 miles to work. It was just perfect.


Then they announce they're moving to a new office building in Riverton which is about 20 miles from downtown. Not as far away as Heber, but still an annoying commute. It worked out fine for a while while the weather was good because he could ride his bike in, get a ride with friends, or work from home. Now, it's dark in the morning and getting too cold to ride comfortably, and they're saying they have to go in every day. No more working from home. Pete didn't get a ride this morning and he needed to be there by 9 for a meeting, but I needed the car in the afternoon to take Min to ballet so I had to take him in. That's an hour off of my day. Ok, I know I wasn't really going to do anything anyway, but still it's a little too much driving.

Ok, no more ranting. That was it. I'm grateful Pete has such a good job and that we even have a car (that will be paid off in 2 months, yeah!!).

I had planned on going running at the gym, but when we got home Elle didn't want to go to the daycare, and I didn't really want to drive anymore so we decided to go run with the stroller. It was a hard run, and slow, slow, slow! But I figure it's good for me. Resistance training right!? Now I'll just feel faster when I don't have to push that thing. Plus, you know, I have to stop more when I've got Elle with me, and I'm more careful crossing streets, etc...

I used Pete's Garmin, and here are my mile splits:
  1. 10:49
  2. 10:42
  3. 10:01 (and I was really pushing to get this one!)
  4. 10:47
  5. 11:14
Total time: 58:00
Total distance: 5 miles

My top speed was 8:02, and that was probably just for a second while I ran down a little hill.

Here are some fun memories with our lovely double jogging stroller:

October 28, 2006
Mindy and Ethan at the zoo 3 years ago (wow!) for halloween. Elle was just tiny and I had her in the sling. I ended up losing Ethan for about half an hour when he wandered away from the playground. It was so crowded that day. So scary! But I found him at the security office telling him that his name was "2."

April 19, 2007
Probably the first and last time I tried to run with both of them in there. So heavy! I'm a loner when it comes to running.

July 17, 2008
Here we are at Lagoon!

P.S. Does anyone have a single jogging stroller that they'd like to trade for a double one? I'm thinking something a little more streamline would be nice since Elle's the only one who ever rides in there now.

2 comments:

  1. I'd LOVE to trade you strollers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH yeah, I forgot you had a jogging stroller! That will be perfect. When we make it up there, I'll bring the stroller then. :)

    ReplyDelete