Sunday, December 18, 2011

Jingle Bell 5k - Race Report

I have been REALLY slow in getting this written up because I sprained my wrist, but that's another story so you'll just have to wait for it. (It's really not all that exciting).

The race was December 3rd. The night before, I got my race belt and shoes all dressed up:

Not the fanciest costume, but they gave us the jingle bells for our shoes in our packets, and I had to cut a few inches off Elle's red tutu anyway so that worked good for my race belt.

After everyone went to bed, Elle came up and threw up all over the floor. And me. Of course, after that, I started feeling sick too. I wasn't sure if I was really getting sick or if it was just psychological from seeing Elle throw up. Do you ever get that? Luckily she slept just fine after that and felt fine in the morning.

I wasn't feeling really good in the morning so I thought about skipping the 5k, but I got up and got myself some breakfast and started to feel better. I decided I would go, and that I could just run slow if I didn't feel better.

I met Amber and Cheryl from my running group there. We hung out and I ran around a little to get warmed up before the start.

I could not believe how good I felt during the race! I was expecting to feel sick, but it was the opposite. My mile splits were:
  1. 8:51
  2. 8:59
  3. 8:44

I was so happy because I was shooting for sub-9 minute miles to finish in under 27 minutes. It was nice to have my Garmin there so I could make sure I stayed on pace, but I was surprised that I was able to stay on pace without feeling like I was going to die. I just kept going, picking people off one at a time to pass, and I felt awesome! It was a lot of fun!

I got to the "2 mile" sign after only about a mile and a half. I thought, "Hmm, that's in the wrong place." Then I got to the finish line way too soon. I looked at my Garmin and it was only at 2.5 miles. I was so annoyed by that and knew I wouldn't be happy unless I really ran 5k, so I turned around and added a quarter mile on before returning to the finish line.

As usual, my brain wasn't working while running so I turned around before I crossed the finish line so my chip time relative to everyone else is off. Oh well. I also turned around a little soon so I still didn't quite get 5k! Arg.

I saw Amber right as I turned around from adding that extra little bit on and told her it was half a mile short, then ran off to finish in 26:44!!

My total distance was 3.03 miles so still not quite 5k, but I'm really happy with my time! I didn't stop my Garmin until they were cutting my timing chip off, and it said 27:03.

After I got home and showered, I started feeling sick again. My dad came over to help us (meaning Pete) work on our basement bathroom. They got the shower base in, built a wall, and put up beadboard. I'm excited, it's going to look so nice! Here's a picture I took before they put the wall on the side of the shower up:


I felt bad because I pretty much just laid around feeling nauseated, taking care of George as much as I could.

I felt better after dinner and a good night's sleep, but still not great. I was a little worried I would still feel sick on Monday because we were planning on going snowboarding...

No comments:

Post a Comment