Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sugar Free Banana Muffins

It's recipe time!

On Thursday I had to do my blood glucose test. The instructions the doctor gave me were to not eat "any sugars" before the test, just eat proteins, drink this really sugary drink in 5 minutes, exactly 1 hour before my doctor appointment, then not eat anything else.

I had already planned on making banana muffins for breakfast, though, so I just made them anyway and just didn't have one until I got home from the doctor. Technically, these muffins don't have any sugar in them, but I figured the "no sugars" meant no sugars of any kind, including fruit sugars. Too be safe, I just ate eggs and sausage for breakfast (which is good too).

They were hard to resist though.



Sugar Free Banana Muffins

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup apple sauce

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
2. Combine bananas, egg and apple sauce; mix well.
3. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
4. Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. (I sliced up another half a banana and put a piece on top of each muffin, but I'd only do this if you're going to eat them right away because the banana will turn black and get slimy if you save them for later.)
5. Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done.
6. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

I wish I could have tasted these when they were still warm, but the kids seemed to enjoy them.

I was a little nervous about the glucose test, but not much. I was also worried that I would fail the iron test again like I did last month. I decided against taking supplements and just tried to eat more healthy, iron-rich foods like spinach, green beans, meat, and malt-o-meal. Well, it worked! Not only did I pass my glucose test, but I also passed the iron test! Yeah!

When I got home, I was already starving, so the first thing I did was try those muffins. Mmmm. They were good. They were really moist and delicious. They totally don't need the sugar with that many bananas and applesauce! They probably would have been even better warm.

1 comment:

  1. The muffins sound really yummy, we will have to try them. I almost always have to take the iron supplement and even sometimes when I am not pregnant. Lots better if you can get enough iron without it! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete