Monday, May 23, 2011

One of Those Mornings

This morning I was going to go run at 6, but George woke up at 4 so I was worried he wouldn't be ready to eat if I woke him up before I left, and that he'd be hungry before I got back if I didn't. So, I just went back to bed. I really wasn't looking forward to doing my speed work so maybe this was just an excuse. I don't know.

George did end up waking up at about 10 to 7. I might have been able to be back by then. It's hard to know, though. He was back to sleep by 8 so I decided to take the kids to school on my way to the track. Elle wanted to come with me so we packed her some toys and headed out. On the way there, there was a train, and it stopped on the tracks right in front of us. In the past I've turned around and gone the long way around when there's been a train and I always seem to regret it so when I asked Elle if I should turn around or wait, she said, "always wait." So cute.

So I waited while the train sat there for a minute, then backed up, then went forward, then backward again. I was just about to turn around, but decided to be patient. Just then it moved out of the way. I felt bad for the kid on the bike who was probably late for school. Two blocks later, I was that the track was filled with highschoolers. Dang, I hadn't even thought about the fact that school was now in. I'm used to running by there before school starts and the track is usually deserted.

I decided that, even if I was ok with dodging teenagers while I tried to do some fast miles, I didn't really like the idea of Elle playing by herself when there were so many people around so we got back in the car and headed home. There was a train again, but this time, I was smart enough to go a different way. :)

When I got home, I grabbed the garmin and headed out to just do my intervals on the streets.

When I first started going, I just felt so frail. My legs were hurting and my knees were hurting like with every step I might just break. I just felt so discouraged that I'm never going to get fast and just wanted to curl up and cry! I thought about just doing an easy recovery run instead, but after my slow warm-up mile (seriously, 12:10), I felt fine and Pete's words kept running through my head: "You won't get feaster if you don't do your speed work fast enough." I decided to give it my best shot.

I did my first mile in 8:39 and I wanted to cry for 2 more reasons, one because I didn't think I could do it that fast, and two because it hurt!

I decided I could do 2 more. It was hard, and I wasn't able to duplicate that time, but I was still happy with what I did:


I know that's really not that fast, but it's fast for me right now.

I did a total of 4.76 miles in 50:37, and I felt so much better than when I started!

I did some strength training for half an hour, then had my chocolate shake with spinach. Mmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment