Saturday, May 14, 2011

What a Training Week!

This has been one awesome (and tiring) training week. Workouts of note were on Wednesday and Friday.

Early Wednesday, I did a tough swim where I had to do 20 x 75. Yes, 20! It's really not that crazy, it's just 1500 meters total, but I was doing it all almost as hard as I could. I just did them on 1:30 so it took me 30:00 to do them all and was easy to keep track of. I was able to keep my pace pretty steady, finishing each at about 1:20 so I'd have 10 seconds to rest between each set.

Then as soon as I got the baby fed and the kids to school, I headed out on a 6-mile tempo run. It was pretty tough, but sadly I'm still a bit slower than I was before I got pregnant. Sometimes it feels like I'll never get back there, but I have to have faith that if I've gotten there before, I can do it again!

After those 2 hard workouts, I was spent for the rest of the day! I was so tired, and so hungry! For the next couple of hours I couldn't seem to get enough to eat.

I was so tired that night that I decided to just sleep in the next day and possibly skip my swim or just do it later in the day if it worked out. This was just what I needed, and George even slept all night so when he woke up at 6:30 I felt so refreshed! I went and did my swim after dropping the kids off at school, then did a trainer ride when I got home. It was awesome that I got to get some extra rest and still get my workouts done! It's been so nice to have Pete be able to work from home too. He just got a new position at work, though, so it looks like the working from home days are ending soon. Sad. I will make it work, though. I've done it before!

Friday I ran 9 miles! Wahoo! There was a time when it wasn't a big deal for me to run 9 miles. Now is not that time! My legs were so tired for the rest of the day!

I did it in 1:34 so that's an average 10:29/mile.

I was happy to sleep in again today since Pete was going mountain biking so I couldn't go early. During George's naps I worked in the garden and ended up getting pretty obsessed with it, to the point of considering skipping my long ride so I could just finish getting the strawberries in! I thought about just doing a trainer ride in the evening, but it was such a nice day, it felt like that would be such a waste! So I headed out on my ride at about 3, with just short sleeves and shorts. When I went outside and saw the big black clouds rolling in, though, I grabbed a baggie for my phone and a jacket just in case.

At first, I thought I wouldn't need the jacket, but after about 20 minutes I turned the corner and the wind just hit me. It was so windy I wasn't sure it would be safe to stay on the roads so I got on the bike bath. I also decided those clouds really didn't look good so I turned around at the half hour point instead of the hour. I thought about either just making it a short ride, or finishing it on the trainer. My ride turned into a how-fast-can-I-get-back-home ride, and it got pretty rainy and pretty cold for a while. By the time I got back to the house, though, the storm had pretty much passed so I just kept riding and finished my 2 hours. I got about 26 miles in, just like last week. I'm glad I was able to finish it all outside. I need all the riding I can get!

It was a good day, and it's been a good week. I'm so happy I was able to get all my workouts in and just work really hard. I'm kind of excited for my rest day tomorrow, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment