Monday, January 4, 2010

Double Duty!

I got up early this morning, ready to start a new week, and a new year of training! As nice as Christmas break was, I really started to miss my routine. I'm also excited to really try out my handmade training plan!

First off was a trip to the pool. It was really warm in there! A lot of older people use that pool so maybe they're catering to them. Anyway, I started off with my usual warm-up:

200 kick,
200 swim
200 pull
200 swim

Then I started into my intervals. I did 100 meters every 2:00, shooting for 1:50 each. I did better today:
  1. 1:50
  2. 1:50
  3. 1:50
  4. 1:53
  5. 1:55
So close on that first set! I rested for long time between sets, maybe 5 minutes. I really hoped this would help me be able to pull off the same kind of numbers for set #2:
  1. 1:45 (oops, got a little carried away I guess)
  2. 1:55
  3. 1:55
  4. 2:00 I rested for :55 after this one because I wanted to be able to hit my last one.
  5. 1:50
So, I wonder if it would be better for me to have longer rests between the 100s so that I can hit the times I want, or if I should just keep doing them every 2:00 and try to get used to it. Please chime in if you have any advice about that! :)

I did 150 to cool down, alternating between slow swimming and backstroke.

After swimming, I rushed home to get the kids to school, then Elle and I went on an adventure across the valley to a new gym! It's actually one of the county rec. centers, so I have a pass to it already, but we'd never been to this one. It was the Holliday-Lions facility, and it's pretty nice. They've actually got a pool with a few lanes open for lap swim during the daycare time so I was kind of like, "man, I didn't have to wake up so early!" But, at the same time, I was glad I had already done my swim, and that I was there to do spin class! Yeah! Actually, it's called "Cycle, Tone & Stretch" and it's an hour and a half long. I didn't really know what to expect, but I figured it would be a regular spin class with some yoga-type stuff afterwards. I was quite wrong there!

It was just a normal spin (I guess I should say Cycle) class, but afterwards, we didn't just lounge around and stretch, we did a bunch of drills. We did squats, push-ups, ladder drills in the gym, backwards push-ups, crunches and walking/running around the gym. I actually forgot to bring my running shoes, I just had my street Skechers for all this so I was a little worried. It ended up being fine, though. We didn't do that much running. I was happy to be the first one done with the ladder drills both times we did them, though! (no, I'm not competitive at all!) That was hard, and after the second one, my throat started hurting and I kept coughing for the rest of the class, and the next hour or so! Weird.

It was a great workout, my arms were probably like, "What? I thought we already did our workout for the day?!" They're a little sore, but I think it's going to be a good class to go to, and Elle liked the daycare, so I'll be there again on Wednesday. Anyone want to go with me?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment