Saturday, January 2, 2010

Hills are Fun!

You know what, I actually like running on hills. Call me crazy, but yesterday I had a really hard run and it was just around my neighborhood where it's pretty flat. Today I actually drove to my starting point because I wanted some new scenery. My run ended up being a bit hilly, and I had a much better time! Of course, it could have also been better because I was calling this a "recovery run" and taking it pretty easy... Who knows! It does seem like all my favorite runs are on hills, though.

I decided that I wouldn't worry about what speed I was going, and that I wouldn't push myself to go faster. I also didn't hold back, and had fun on the downhills! I just let my legs go whatever speed they wanted, and here's what they did:
  1. 10:16
  2. 10:17
  3. 9:58
  4. 9:04
  5. 8:55
  6. 9:29
Total Distance: 6.1 miles
Total Time: 58:05
Average Pace: 9:40 min/mile

It was really hard to get going. My legs were still sore, and felt like they were made of lead. For the first 2 miles, I didn't even want to be out running and I just let myself go really slow. The road I ran on is kind of made for running. It's a one-way road for cars, and runners/bikers get the other lane. It was fun to be out running with so many other runners! After a while I realized, "Hey, I AM A RUNNER, and I'm doing this!" That's when I started to get into it and really enjoy it. I still didn't push myself to go fast, but I did go faster. I really did enjoy the downhills, but I enjoyed the uphills too. Call me crazy!

On my last mile, I was running behind a couple, and taking it pretty easy for a while. Then I decided to pass them, and it was such a great feeling to pass them and just keep running strong. I was listening to Bohemian Rhapsody so I was like, "Do you think you can stop me and spit in my eye? Do you think you can love me and leave me to die?" (to myself of course) and I just felt so good and happy. Running is awesome!

I also started to get really hungry on my last mile. Why did I go running at lunch time?? When I got home, I hurried and made myself some ham, eggs and toast. After I got ready, we went to Costco where Pete and the kids just had pizza while I did the shopping. After all, I had already eaten. By the time I got done, though, I was hungry again and finished off their ice cream, then had a piece of pizza when we got home. I've kind of been feeling like that all day, and also really tired, and my legs are sore. What's up with that? It feels like I ran 15 miles today instead of an easy 6. Do you think I'm still sore from the speed work on Wednesday? Or from the tempo run yesterday? I don't know, I just hope I can recover before I really get back into my workout schedule on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment