Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gifts


The other day I was doing the dishes and kind of grumbling to myself while I did it, thinking things like, "Wo is me, why do I always have to do everything around here?"

I suddenly realized I was doing this, and decided I needed to stop because I know I am in charge of my own attitude. Then I suddenly had a scripture come to mind. (I know, isn't it awesome when that happens?) I've looked it up so I can quote it properly:

Moroni 7:8

For behold, if a man being evil giveth a gift, he doeth it grudgingly; wherefore it is counted unto him the same as if he had retained the gift; wherefore he is counted evil before God.
That sounds a little harsher than what came to my mind, but the point is that if you give a gift grudgingly, you might as well not have given it at all. I realized that cooking good, healthy meals and taking care of the house is kind of like my gift to my family. I love my family, and really I am happy to do these things for them. It's just hard to remember that sometimes when you're tired or think about how never-ending the dishes or the laundry is.

Along those same lines, I have also been given the gift of such a wonderful husband and family, and the ability to stay home and take care of them. My body is another gift, and the ability I have to do the things I enjoy like swim, bike and run. My children are all gifts and I'm so blessed to be a mother.


Doctrine and Covenants 88:33

For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift? Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift.

I thought these were just some great things to think about and a new way to look at doing house work. I should take pride in being a homemaker because that's what I'm doing, making a home, and I need to remember and be grateful for the gifts I've been given.

I had another gift today: a 45 degree morning and a husband at home to sit with the baby so I could go outside and run in it.

I ran for 4o minutes and felt great! The funny thing was that when I first started, I was practically limping because my legs still hurt pretty badly, but after about a block they felt fine! That is until I was done. Then it was back to saying, "ouch, ouch, ouch" as soon as I started walking. It's weird how that works, isn't it? You'd think it would be the other way around and hurt more while I was running, but it didn't! I need to remember that next time I'm sore and have a run scheduled.

What are some gifts you give to your loved ones? What are some of the gifts you've been given?

1 comment:

  1. Truly all things happen for a reason, like you following me on twitter, which led me stalking your page, then your blog, then a slap in the face reading this. A good slap. A WAKE UP slap.
    I feel the same way looking at cleaning lately. I hate it. I feel as though no one appreciates, and I decide not to do it...
    I even look at my training that way... pathetic.
    But sharing the scriptures was uplifting.
    I should as well take pride in being a homemaker, its the one of the only gifts I can give my family.
    Thanks for sharing.
    http://accomplishingmotherhood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete