Sunday, March 13, 2011

Words of Wisdom

Today was the first time I took George to more than just the first hour of church. He slept all through sacrament meeting, then got fussy when I tried to go to sunday school so I took him home too feed and change him and just let him hang out at his favorite place (aka his changing table). I love living across the street from the church! Then I went back for Relief Society which I've hardly ever been to in this ward since I've been in Young Women or Primary pretty much the whole time we've lived here.

I really enjoyed the lesson, especially because it was about something I've been extra passionate about lately, The Word of Wisdom.

I heard a joke the other day that went something like, "Why do Mormons give up sweets for Lent? That's all we've got!" No, that wasn't it. Maybe it was something like, "I'm a Mormon so I celebrate Lent all year long." Hm, I'm terrible at this. I'm totally killing the joke...

Anyway, people think it's such a hard thing for us Mormons to not drink coffee or tea or alcohol or smoke, but really it's not. At least it's not for me. People think these rules are chains that hold us down, but really they are what help keep us free. I can't imagine why anyone would think it's a good thing to be addicted to something or that it's fun to lose control of yourself because of something you've taken. Maybe that's because I've never tried it. I've never wanted to try it, though. I'm so glad I was raised in an environment where that wasn't even an issue. Our bodies are temples and we should not defile them. It's also amazing that this was given to Joseph Smith back at at time when they didn't know how dangerous tobacco or alcohol could be, and before half the drugs we have these days even existed.

That's not all the Word of Wisdom is about, though. It also tells us what things we should eat and basically that we should take care of our bodies. That we should eat healthy foods and exercise so that we will "run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint." What a wonderful promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment