Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Half Marathon Training...

So, I guess I'm suddenly training for a half marathon, hu? It's in 5 weeks (February 11th) so since I did 8.5 miles last week, if I add a mile a week I'll get up to 13.5 so it should be fine! I'll up my milage during the week a little bit too.

It'll be an indoor half marathon at the Utah Olympic Oval which is where I just ran on Saturday. This is such a cheap half marathon. It's only $25! There is also a 5k and it's only $15! So you should sign up too! (yes I get points towards my next Ironman if you do) Sign up here.

Yesterday I did my usual Monday workout, only kicked it up a notch. I have been doing 6 x 400 meter intervals at 7:30-8:00 pace. Yesterday, and last week, I did 4 x 800 meters (or half a mile), and this time I did it on the treadmill!

Man, I hate running on the treadmil. I don't know why it feels so HARD for me! But, talking to my friend Shannon on Saturday, she said she runs pretty much every day and most the time it's on the treadmill. She told me she likes it because she knows exactly how fast she's going. I decided that would be good for intervals because then I would be sure to hit the pace I wanted.

It was hard! When I run on the treadmill, I always think, "I'm not going to be able to do this!" But then I just keep going, and I do it! That's how it was yesterday, and here's where it was when I finished:


It always makes me happy when the distance (on the right) is a smaller number than the time (on the left)!

I did the first half-mile interval at 8:00/mile pace, then the other 3 at just a click faster, turning the last one up another click for the last .1 or so, with .25 mile slow recoveries in between.

I was happy I did it, and even happier to get off the treadmill and go cool down on the track. I did 10 minutes before and 10 minutes after on the track to warm up and cool down. I didn't want to be on the treadmill any longer than I had to be!

I did the "Full Action" workout from Nike Training Club when I got home, and was all finished before anyone even woke up! Ahhh, how nice!

On a side note, George said "Mama" yesterday! He may have been trying to say "milk" but I was still very happy! He's so cute! And check out this awesome jumpsuit he wore today!


Today was running group, but nobody else wanted to run outside so it ended up just being me and George. He was so funny. When he saw me grabbing his snowsuit out of the closet, he got all excited! Then I put it on the ground while I put my jacket and stuff on, and he got on it and looked like he was trying to figure out how to put it on.
Someone was excited to go running! So cute!

We had a nice run. He just went to sleep, and I ran an "easy" 6 miles. Actually it was just slow. But I was pushing the stroller so I try not to let that get to me. It will only make me stronger, right!? It was a really nice day for a run, and I was so glad I got outside! When is the snow going to come, though?!

No comments:

Post a Comment