Monday, February 8, 2010

Swimming Breakthrough!

During the night Ethan came into my room because he had a nightmare, and when I got up to take him back to bed, my legs were so stiff I could hardly even move. I did manage to get him to his room, though and get back to bed. It was no better when morning rolled around, though. I could not believe how tight my calf muscles. I iced them while I had breakfast. That and walking around the house, loosened them up a little bit, but they were still really sore. I was hobbling around trying to get the kids to school.

I was scheduled for a 60 minute tempo run and decided to switch that with my swim scheduled for tomorrow. Though, right now I don't feel like I'll ever be able to run again, let alone a 60 minute tempo run. What have I done to myself?!

Anyway, so I headed to the pool and dropped Elle off in the childcare. I love having a pool I can go to with a drop-in childcare, by the way. So much nicer than getting up early and rushing back. I was really excited to swim today, and also hoping it would loosen up my legs a little.

I did my usual warmup:

200 kick
200 swim
200 pull buoy
200 swim (I timed this one just for fun and it was 4:08)

I had a good rest for a few minutes before starting my first set, and I'm still doing them every 2 minutes (so when I do the 100 in 1:40 I get a 20 second rest with is NICE). The first 100 I was feeling so good, and I told myself it was too fast, but then I thought, "But I like this speed! I'm going to try to keep it up." I did the first lap in 1:40, but I've done that before so I thought I would get slower, but I was just amazed by how powerful I felt! I was just pulling that water like it was no body's business! I made every stroke like my life was depending on it, and I was just gliding through the water. It felt AWESEOME! I don't know why I was able to keep it up for the whole 5 sets. Maybe because I practically had 2 rest days in a row (as far as my arms are concerned). I felt like I kind of had a breakthrough, just by the way I felt in the water. Is it a breakthrough if you don't know what you did differently, though?

  1. 1:40
  2. 1:43
  3. 1:43
  4. 1:45
  5. 1:46

I rested for 7 minutes before starting into my second set. When I started again, the nice cool water felt so good on my face! I told myself I would just do the same thing, but I could tell right away it wasn't working. I didn't feel the same magic I felt the first time. This time my times were about what I'm used to:

  1. 1:40
  2. 1:49
  3. 1:53
  4. 1:55
  5. 1:51

Oh well, at least I did the first one fast.

I did another 150 to cool down, switching between backstroke and a nice slow crawl.

total distance: 1950
total time: 57:19

I got out of the hot tub and hobbled over to the hot tub thinking it would help my legs. There was a sign that said to limit hot tub time to 10 minutes, so I looked on the clock and planned to stay for 10 minutes. That didn't seem like very long, but after 5 minute, even though one of the old men in there was telling the other old man about getting held up at knife point in Tijuana, I was done.

I got a drink from the drinking fountain because I felt really hot, then got in the shower. About half-way through the shower, I found myself leaning against the wall and fighting the urge to sit on the shower floor (because that's just gross). I couldn't resist it for long, though, and ended up on the floor for a few minutes. That made me feel better until I got back up and I was leaning against the wall again, trying to finish my shower. I turned the temperature all the way down, trying to cool it off, and it just stayed warm. The one time I want my shower at the gym to be cold, it stays warm! I ended up kneeling down one more time, then I just hurried and got out. In fact, there might still be conditioner in my hair. I didn't care, I just needed to sit down. I sat on the little bench in the locker room and put my head down. The lady in the next isle asked me if I was ok and I told her I would probably be ok once I cooled down, and I was. After a few minutes, I was able to get up and finish getting ready.

I gave my calves a massage while putting lotion on, and it was hard because they were so tight! In the end, after all that, my calves were still really sore, but at least I was able to walk out of the dressing room normally, which is about the best I could ask for. I don't know if it was worth almost passing out over, but I was glad to be able to walk normal.

I downed the mix1 and the Mrs. Mays nut bar, and felt fine for the drive home, but I did lay down for a little while when I got here and I've been really tired all day.

At the end of the day, my legs are still really sore, and it's making me quite grouchy. I feel like such a baby too. Getting all lightheaded from 5 minutes in the hot tub (maybe my hard workout had something to do with it too...) and complaining about my legs hurting all day because I ran 2 miles 2 days ago! I really do hope they feel better soon so I can get back to running. Like I said, I don't feel like I'll ever be able to run again right now. It will get better, though. It will get better. I'll just keep telling myself that, and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment