Sunday, February 20, 2011

Being Sneaky

Today George is 5 weeks old. I weighed myself while I was holding him this morning and the total was 158.2, then I weighed myself without him and I was exactly (drumroll please) 145! That means George is a whopping 13.2 pounds! Wow. Those calories are sure going somewhere, chubby boy. :)


But wait, did I say 145? Yay, that's my pre-pregnancy weight! I still want to go down 5 or 10 more pounds, but I'm feeling really optimistic about how things have been going. Pete's been losing weight too so we're really excited about eating healthy again. It really works! Having a baby to nurse about a hundred times a day sure helps too. (I haven't counted, but I think it's around that many times...)

I haven't been perfect about not eating sugar, especially for the first 4 or 5 days. I had to get past Valentine's Day and the aftermath. The chocolate frogs weren't all gone until Friday. I guess that says something that I didn't eat them all in one day! They were so good.

Yesterday and today have been really good, I've pretty much had no sugar. Dang, until I had that little bowl of granola tonight. But that wasn't very much.

I've noticed that for some reason holding a fussy baby really makes me crave sugar! It's the same feeling I used to get when I'd have a hard time getting the kids to bed. Then it was like as soon as they were asleep, I'd get myself a treat. So, I think it's a combination of boredom, stress and habit that gives me these cravings. Also, I think a lot of times I'm just thirsty so when I get a craving, I try to remember to get a drink of water. It's kind of hard sometimes, and sometimes, I just really want to make cookies!

But, for the most part I'm really happy with getting as many fruits and veggies into my meals and snacks as possible. I'm sure I could do better, but we're doing pretty good. Pete's being more strict than me and not really eating bread or rice or anything like that. I'm just trying to stick with of whole grains and brown rice, but I'm avoiding them as much as possible to accommodate him.

Here's a good dinner idea that will help you sneak some more veggies in and avoid refined carbs: Just bake a spaghetti squash, then put your favorite spaghetti sauce on it.



I actually had a lot of tomatoes that I needed to use so here's how I made my sauce:

1 lb. ground beaf
1 onion ,chopped
1 zucchini, shredded (another sneaky veggie)
garlic powder (fresh garlic would be better, but I didn't have any)
1 can tomato sauce
5 or 6 tomatoes, diced
1 tsp. italian seasoning (I just sprinkled it in so I'm guessing the amount)

Then we sprinkled parmesan cheese on top, and it was really good! Ethan was the only one who didn't like it. Even Elle liked it and ate it really good, and she hardly ever eats her dinner, especially the vegetables. I LOVED that they liked this, especially because they didn't think they would, and it showed them that you won't know if you like it or not until you try it.

So give it a try!

Training:
I skipped my "long" run on friday. I guess I was just feeling guilty about starting running before my 6 weeks were up, and felt like I should take a couple more days to rest. I think I'll do my scheduled run tomorrow and take it super easy.

I'm excited for another week of working out (even if it's not a lot yet) and eating mostly plants!

All stocked up. This probably won't last all week at our house. Hey, where'd that candy cane come from?!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment