Thursday, June 4, 2009

84 Nets to go!

Today was a nap day for me. I don't know how people train for an Ironman when they have to go to work. I mean, I have to work, but at least I can take the kids with me for a lot of my workouts (daycare at the gym, bike trailer, or even the stroller if I have to), and I can nap when the kids nap. This morning I just felt so tired, and thought I might even be getting sick because I didn't feel very good. I looked forward to nap time all day, and was able to get about an hour sleep. I hate naps, though, they always make me feel more tired! It took me a while to wake up from this one. It's a good thing I had to go get Ethan, or I might still be asleep! Ok, that's not true, only Pete can do that. Lucky!

When the afternoon rolled around, it was getting stormy, plus I wanted to make a good dinner for a change, plus Pete wanted to go ride over the mountain with a friend from work so I decided to skip the workout. I kept hold of the idea that maybe I could still do the run part when Pete got home, but when I talked to him about it, he thought I should just take a rest day and not feel guilty about it. He said, "People like you have a harder time getting the rest they need then doing the workouts, people like you run themselves into the ground." Those aren't his exact words (he's always more eloquent than me), but I don't want to run myself into the ground, so I was strong and took the day off.

After I got the kids in bed, I took a nice hot bath. Then Pete massaged my calves, and found a big old knot in one of them. No wonder my legs are so stiff! I wonder if it is a build-up from all the working out or if it's just because I forgot to stretch yesterday. Doh! I guess we'll never know. It's probably good that I rested today. I probably should have worn my compression socks yesterday too. I'm wearing them now, and I spent the rest of the night watching a movie and folding laundry while drinking my peach, banana, orange smoothie. There was no chocolate in that, but I still enjoyed it very much. I want to eat good the next few days so I'm at 100% for Little Red Riding Hood on Saturday!

Now it's late and I need to get to bed, but I want to leave you with the latest Against Malaria video I edited. They put it up today. It is from Uganda where they distributed 2,000 nets to people in the Mutundwe area, including The Divine Foundation Primary School who reported 65 new cases of malaria daily out of their 400 students. The students marched through the town to let the village people know the nets were there. They had a marching band and put on a little program. It was quite a big deal to them. I just couldn't keep from crying as I was working on this when I saw just how many people there were hoping to get nets for their families.



I want to thank all of you who have helped me raise money for nets so far! I really appreciate it! We've raised enough for 65 nets, that's half the distance of the bike! Pretty impressive, but I'm still hoping to get the total distance, and that's 140. If you haven't had the opportunity to donate yet, just donate $5 for one net.

Last night, Pete and I went to a play, Treasure Island, and it was really good. At the end, the main actor came out of his pirate voice and told us about a fellow actor who is in need of a kidney. He told us that one of the other actors there was going to give him his, but that their insurance wasn't going to cover it. Pretty amazing story hu? He simply asked us to donate what we could on the way out. Pete and I put a couple dollars in the basket. The basket was just full of money, and it was a pretty big basket! Not all of it was just dollar bills either. It's just amazing what we can do if everyone just puts in a little bit! This made me hopeful for reaching my goal for Against Malaria. If I can just get enough people to donate just a few dollars, it will add up to 140! Please help me out with this. We just have 84 nets to go, and you know I'm going to keep bugging you all until we get there (sorry to those who have already donated). Thanks again. 

Oh, and if you have donated, have you clicked on the little flag next to your name? It's pretty cool to see where your money is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment