Monday, March 1, 2010

Run #3 with Bioms

Here is an exerpt from Training with BIOM:

BIOM lets your feet move in their own preferred path, but first they need to adjust. Feet need to adapt gradually, over time. This is because BIOM gives you a very direct and dynamic running feeling with centered landing point under the heel, high flexibility in the forefoot and a close-to-the ground construction. In turn, your muscles adapt to the new pattern of motion over a period of four to six weeks, but it takes much longer for your tendons, ligaments and joints to adjust. Training the body is a gradual, long-term adaptation process. Let your body dictate the progress. Wear BIOM during your normal daily activities as you will also train your feet while walking normally. To start with, run slowly and only increase the number of kilometers/miles gradually per the training schedule below. Always run at a speed that you feel comfortable with.

Week 1

  • Wear BIOM for normal usage for half a day every day you can.
  • Run gently 2-3 times/week, 20 minutes including running drills, stretch after each session.
When talking to the lady who sold me the shoes she said she would even take it slower than that. For my first two runs I made sure to only run for 20 minutes. I went a little over on Saturday. Here's what happened:

I woke up feeling sick with a runny nose and sore throat. I probably would have just gone and done my 6-mile long run after breakfast, but then I had to go pick up our food co-op stuff. (I love food co-op days!) and when I got home I was not feeling good. I ended up going back to bed for about an hour.

Amazingly, when I woke up, I felt better. Usually a nap makes me feel worse, but not this time! I looked out the window and saw what a beautiful day it was and knew it would be a shame not to get out in it a little. I decided this just as Pete says to me, "Maybe I'll go for a bike ride." So, I asked him if I could just go out for 20 minutes while he got ready to go, and he said that was fine. We really didn't have a ton of time because his brother was coming over in about 3 hours.

Despite being sick, I felt so good on that run! I had been wondering if and when I would be able to have fun running in these shoes and I guess that run answered my question. It was really fun! Ironman came on and I was like, "Oh yeah!"

Being and Ironman is so awesome because now I can always say, "I did an Ironman, I can _____."

I can learn how to snowboard! (Pete actually pulled that one on me my first time out when I was having a hard time. He said, "You're tough, you did an Ironman! You can do this!")
I can get faster!
I can teach myself how to run more naturally/efficiently.
I can do a marathon in 4 hours! (ah! I actually still don't know if I believe that one... at least not for this marathon.)

I didn't want to go home when the 20 minutes were up, so I overshot my house and added another 5 minutes. Ok, so that's not a lot, but next week I'm just supposed to bump my running time in the Bioms up to 20-25 minutes so was happy that I could already do 25 and feel good. I took a hot bath afterwards, and massaged my legs a little, and they didn't get sore at all!

I was glad that I got running time in the Bioms in at all. I didn't get my "long" run done, but I'm not too worried about that. I probably almost did half of it at least. Right now I'm just worried about getting used to these shoes. I'm supposed to do an hour long run on Wednesday and 7 miles on Saturday so I think I'll be fine.

Total Time: 25 minutes
Distance: ?

I actually felt like I could keep running, but Pete was already getting his bike out of the garage when I got home so I was happy to let him go. He went up one of my favorite streets, up past the zoo. I can't say I wasn't a little jealous. Or a lot jealous. But I'm focusing on running, and I'll get plenty of bike rides in soon too.

I was excited to do 25 minutes, and I was even thinking maybe 30 minutes depending on how I felt, today, but that didn't happen. That's a whole other blog post, though, and I need to go fold laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment