Friday, March 5, 2010

Run #5 with Bioms and Babies at the Zoo

I know, I know, that title is getting old, but I'm going to keep doing it until I'm totally switched over to the Bioms so it's easy to see how long, and how many runs, it took.

Yesterday morning was so beautiful! The kids were even up and ready early enough that I suggested they ride their bikes to school. They were so excited about this! I was going to just take Elle in the stroller and run with them, but then Pete said he could stay home long enough for me to run for an hour, which is what I was scheduled to run, so I left Elle home.

I ran with the kids to the school which took about 10 minutes. I was running pretty slow with them, and of course had multiple stops and slow downs.

Once they were in their lines and the bikes were locked up, I took off running again. This time I was able to run faster, and I felt really good!

I've realized that I don't really need to run on my toes. I just need to land more on the middle of my foot. Before I was so afraid to even let my heel touch the ground, but I've realized that it's ok if it touches, as long as I'm not landing on my heal. I also realized that I can run like this with my old shoes. It kind of makes me wonder if I should have just got some new Pearl Izumis and started being more careful about how I run. Of course, the Bioms are still working more muscles than the Pearl Izumis so maybe it really was a good decision and I will be stronger because of it.

Anyway, I ran with the bioms for half an hour, and my legs were just getting a little sore, especially around the hip where it was hurting before. I found myself excited to get home, not to change my shoes, but to use the bathroom. I hate it when I hurry out on a run and forget to go first! Arg! Anyway, I was tempted to not even change my shoes, but I did. I also grabbed my ipod which I forgot for the first half of the run, and changed into a short sleeve shirt because it was too hot for my long sleeved one.

It was fun running by time instead of distance, and towards the end I was really trying to hurry to see how far I could make in an hour. You have to remember, I wasn't hurrying the whole time, though.

Here are my splits:
  1. 11:03
  2. 9:23
  3. 9:35 (changed my shoes towards the end of mile 3)
  4. 9:09
  5. 9:12
  6. 9:06
Total Time: 1:00:07
Total Distance: 6.28 Miles
Average Pace: 9:34 min/mile

The kids had a half day today in school, and when I went to pick them up it was still really nice and sunny so I told Elle we could go to the zoo. By the time they came out and we started home on our bikes it was really windy and starting to rain! Crazy changing weather in Utah for ya! The kids were not going to let the zoo idea go so we still went since it didn't rain for long. It was pretty cold, and we had to run inside the buildings a few times to hide from the rain, but it was pretty fun. Going to the zoo on a rainy day is actually really nice because you practically have the place to yourselves! I took some pictures for you:

Here's Mama Giraffe. So elegant.

Of course my kids had to climb on the rino...

Cute "little" baby giraffe.

My cute babies on the tiger statue (we have to get one of these every time!).

The tiger cubs were really active, chewing up some cardboard.

The snow leopard cubs were even more active and we got to see them really close!

The baby Elephant is probably my favorite (other than my own babies of course) zoo baby. She's so cute! Her name's Zuri.

I was a bit sore the rest of the day, but walking around the zoo for a few hours probably helped a little, and using the foam roller before bed helped a ton!

No comments:

Post a Comment