Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Who Decides Your Fate?

Monday was speed work again, and this time I had my lap counter so I couldn't skip any laps. Sure enough I must have skipped them last time because I didn't get any numbers that low again. I did 4 x 800 (or about 800ish) and my times were:

4:16
4:19
4:24
(then I rested a little longer)
4:06

Tuesday was a swim/bike day which I really love. I don't know how long my love for these days will last, but lets hope for at least 20 weeks because that's when my half ironman is! Yikes! I actually forgot to look at my workouts from my training plan which started Monday, but I was planning on sticking to the half marathon plan for the runs, and I still got in a bike and a swim so I think I'll be ok.

Today was tempo run day and I actually had an awesome run! Yay! It was beautiful outside, I even remembered to put on sunscreen and a hat.

I ran the first mile nice and slow:

10:52

then picked up the pace for the second mile, and tried to keep it at 10:00/mile:

10:00 exactly! (Nailed it)

then I decided to shoot for under 10:00 for the third mile:

9:48 wahoo!

I ran the last mile nice and slow to recover/cool down:

11:12

I felt really good about this run, and I was happy to be able to run as fast as I did on the tempo parts!

Total Distance: 4 Miles
Total Time: 41:57
Average Pace: 10:30 min/mile

I slowed down quite a bit at the beginning of the last mile after my really hard third mile. I know it's really important to teach yourself how to recover while running when you're training for a marathon or a half marathon. I never would have thought it possible to recover while running, but you really can do it! Even if you have to go down to like a 13:00/mile pace like I did for a while. I know, at least for me, it's easier to keep running then to stop and walk and have to run again. I know some people prefer the walk/run approach, though. What do you do?

I've been thinking a lot about how much my music affects how fast I run and how good I feel. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. It's almost like the music on my ipod is deciding my fate for each run. But at the same time, I really think it helps me. There are a lot of times where I'm hurting and not wanting to go on, and a song will come on that just gets me through it. I mean, when Bon Jovi says, "take my hand and we'll make it I swear," it's really hard not to take his hand and run as hard as you can with a smile on your face! Even if you're tired and your feet hurt. I mean, after all, "Whoa, we're half-way there...."

Who decides your fate when you're out running?

No comments:

Post a Comment