Friday, May 29, 2009

Fun bike, easy swim

This morning I got up at 5:30 so I could ride and be back by 7:30.
B: 90min at RPE 3-4
It was the perfect time to ride in the city. It was just getting light and there was not too much traffic yet. I worried it would be cold, but it was just about right. Maybe a little chilly as I got up higher. 

I rode 800 S. up past the zoo. There is a really steep hill on that ride that is so hard I have to stand up, and even then can barely push the peddles. It's good for me though, and I made it up! I got to the zoo after about 45 minutes, but decided to keep riding until I got to 50 because I knew it would be way faster on the way home. 

I rode up the canyon until I go to the monument for Donner Hill. It happened to be right around 50 minutes, and it was a good place to turn around since I could actually see if cars were coming from there. I've been through this canyon several times, but I've never seen this monument (it's not really very big). I read about it in the book about the Donner Party I read recently so I've wanted to go up there and see it. This is the hill the Donner Party finally decided to go over after cutting a road most of the way through Emigration Canyon. It's amazing that they got their wagons over that thing! I'm glad I got to stop and see that this morning.

The way home was just really fun. It was mostly downhill, and the really steep part is just such a rush. You come up to it and it's almost like a drop-off because you can't see the bottom. It's fun and scary at the same time. My eyes were glued to the road for most of the way down, but I was able to look at my speed towards the bottom, and it was 39mph. Fun stuff!
I still had a swim to do, and so did Pete so we decided to take the kids and go in the evening. I did mine first since it was really quick:
S: recovery 
4 x 300 (300 easy, 300 kick, 300 easy, 300 kick)
I didn't look at this right before we left so I ended up doing pull instead of kick for the last 300. It was a nice little swim. Then I went and played with the kids. Pete had to swim for about 40 minutes, so they got to play at the pool for a long time, and they had so much fun!

During nap time, I worked on editing a video for Against Malaria from one of their net distributions in Uganda. I just love that I'm able to do this! For one thing it's really cool to see and work with video from so far away, and for another thing, I'm glad there's something I can do to help. Even if it's just a little bit. I couldn't help crying as I looked at all these people just waiting in line, hoping to get a mosquito net for their little kids. When I showed it to Pete, he tried to count the kids in one scene and there were just so many! I will link to this video as soon as it is up. How cool to be able to actually see the people the nets you buy go to! If you haven't had a chance to donate to this simple, yet important cause, please take a few minutes to do it now: 

If everyone who reads this blog and all my friends on facebook and twitter just bought 1 net (just $5), I would easily reach my goal of 140 nets, and probably exceed that. Then just imagine how much we could do if all of you got even one more person to donate! I can use all the help I can get! Thank you all for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment