Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Running in the woods - in the city

Today I was supposed to do a swim and bike in the morning, and a 45 minute run in the evening. I had planned on getting up at 4:30 so I could get to the gym by 5:30, on my bike by 6 and home by 7:30 to get Mindy ready for school. It didn't work out that way. 

I was good and was in bed by 10:30, but I never fall asleep right away, and at about 11:30 Elle woke up, and procedeed to throw the biggest tantrum ever. We didn't get her calmed down and back to bed until around 2. I have no idea what the deal was. She was just freaking out, but once she calmed down she was the sweetest thing. We're hoping she got all her crying out for the next few years.

Laying in bed at 2:30, the thought of waking up in 2 hours just didn't sound very appealing. I still thought I might do it, but when my alarm went off at 4:30 there was no way I was getting out of bed! I went back to sleep 3 more hours, and that was nice, but I was still pretty tired when I had to get up. Elle, on the other hand, was just bright eyed and bushy tailed. Crazy girl. 

I ended up deciding to just throw todays workouts out the window and do tomorrow's instead:

Run: 80 minutes wth strides at RPE 3-4

I wanted to do this today so I could shift everything else down and do my long run tomorrow since I like doing my long runs on Thursdays so I can have a day to rest before my long bike. I don't know if this is a good thing to do or not, but it sounds like a good idea.

I didn't get out on my run until after 8:00 because I went to a church activity and took the kids since there was going to be a daycare there. Pete did his run during this time and called me when he got done. I left the activity just as they were serving refreshments. The kids were very upset to have to leave right in the middle of their game of "Duck, Duck, Goose," but I didn't want to be running in the dark so I made them leave. I'm such a mean mother.

It was a really good run. It seems like it's been forever since I did a good run with strides. I did them every 5 minutes after the first 10 minutes, and it was really fun. I ran on the river trail and it was really pretty running by the river at twilight. There are also a lot of trees, and in some parts it actually feels like you're running through the woods instead of the city. You just have to ignore the spots where they've painted over the grafiti on the path. I even saw what looked like a beaver in the river. I don't think it would have been a beaver, but I didn't stop to get a better look.  

I stopped by the house after an hour to get some hammer gel and a drink of water, and to use the bathroom. The kids were nicely tucked away in their beds. Then I went out and finished the last 20 minutes. I just ran around pretty close to our house becaues it had now gotten dark, and we're not exactly in the nicest part of town. Our neighborhood is pretty good, but I wouldn't want to veer more than a few blocks from it at night by myself. I didn't really do strides for the last 20 minutes either because it was too dark to see my watch very well.

It's funny how 80 minutes used to be such a long run! I remember when an hour just seemed like forever to run! I also was thinking, while I was running, about how I'm not just some girl out running around. I'm out there training. I have a purpose in every workout I do. I think that has made me like working out. Working out used to be such a chore and I hated every minute of it. Now I can actually enjoy it while I'm doing it.

One of my teachers in college always used to say, "It will feel better when it stops hurting." And I just thought that was the most rediculous saying. Of course it will feel better when it stops hurting, what is he talking about!? But now I think I understand. You can't really have that awesome feeling you get after you run, or whatevery workout you do, unless you go through a little pain and work for it. For this reason alone, (forget all the getting healthy, loosing weight, getting better at something) I would suggest training for something, anything, to everyone. You just need something to work towards, and it really makes it so much more worth it, and it feels so good when it stops hurting! Call me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment