Monday, May 11, 2009

Oh My Hard Day!

Me (in the middle) finishing the St. George Marathon last year. You can't even tell I'm limping!

I know I'm not supposed to be making up workouts, but I did it again today. I really needed to do my long ride from yesterday:
B: 5 hours at RPE 3-4
R: 20minutes at RPE 3
I decided to do what I did last week and start off on the trainer. I planned to do this for 2.5 hours, but, like last time, I didn't get on the bike as early as I had hoped. I did get about 2:15 done before I had to move it outside, hook it up to the bike trailer and take Ethan to school.

I hate riding on the trainer. That's all there is to it. It is just so much more uncomfortable for some reason, and I have a hard time keeping my heart-rate up - especially if I'm watching a movie to fight off the boredom, like I did today. We watched Kung Foo Panda. I hadn't seen it before, and it was pretty good. When it got over, I listened to my ipod for an hour. It was just not fun, like I said, so uncomfortable!

My heart-rate was at about 130 for the first hour, 140 for the second hour, and 150 for most of the time I was outside with the bike trailer. It is just so hard pulling that thing! 

We went on the bike path again, and It was my goal to reach the long tunnel. We got to go through that just before it was time to turn around, and right after Elle woke up so that worked out perfectly.

When I got home, my total riding time was 4:36, so not quite 5 hours, but it was hard! By the time I got to around 4 hours, my shoulders were sore and my butt was sore from sitting on that seat for so long, and I was having a hard time getting myself to keep pedaling. Somehow (probably because it's impossible not to work too hard when pulling an extra 45 pounds) I managed to keep my heart-rate up around 150 until I got home. I was feeling really tired, but we hurried and had a bathroom break, got drinks, switched shoes, got the stroller, and I ran to the school to pick Ethan up. I only ended up having time to run for 15 minutes before he got out, but then I ran a little on the way home so it probably added up to at least 20 minutes of running. I just had about a 20 minute break in the middle where I stretched and drank my Recoverite while Elle and Ethan played on the playground before Mindy got out. 

I barely had time to get a snack and a shower before it was time to take Mindy to ballet. By some miracle, I got her there on time! I wasn't feeling very good, though. I was just so tired, not sleepy (though I'm sure I could have slept!), but more like I just wanted to lay down and not move for a while. We went grocery shopping and I picked up one of those Odwalla chocolate protein shakes and drank that while we shopped which helped me feel better. 

I feel alright now, but that doesn't mean I'm excited to get up and do the dishes. I could have probably gotten Pete to do them tonight, but he's at the pool swimming. He's just starting his own training plan to get ready for Spudman. We also just found out that he got into the St. George Marathon so he has a lot of training ahead of him. I'm excited for him, and I'm happy to work it out so that we can both train at the same time. At least his hours aren't going to be too crazy at first. I hope it doesn't rain this year! Read about my St. George Marathon last year.


  1. I'm so impressed by your training. I'm so un-athletic (which I'm pretty sure is not even a word, but I'm going to use it anyway), that I'm constantly amazed by reading your training blog.

  2. Thanks! You're so sweet, and let me remind you that I totally know how you feel because I used to be very un-athletic myself. I like the word, I'm going to use it)

  3. I love the dedication with which you are training,Its wonderful!Keep going!

    ♥ chaitra