Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Loooong Swim, and My Goal

Pete put a new (well, actually old - we had switched it out for the bigger one which is now fried) hard drive into my laptop so I have spent some time getting all my old programs and settings the way I like them. I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable, but I still haven't changed my desktop picture. It's a picture of space and it's kind of making me feel motion sick. I should change it right now.

There we go, now I'm at a nice peaceful zen garden. Oh and a lightening storm on my other monitor. We must have opposition in all things. Thank you, Apple :)



So, this week I'm just going to mix up my workouts and do whatever I want, whenever I want. Today I was supposed to do a Swim/bike transition practice, and a run. Well, I'm going to be doing that on Saturday so I figured it would be better for me to do the long swim from yesterday. Here is its:
S: long day
wu: 200swim, 200kick, 200pull, 200swim
main: 1900 ladder. Do a set of 300, then 275, 250, etc…until 25
10 x 100 (descend 1-5, 6-10)
cd: 4 x 50, each slower than last
Long hu? I went strait to the gym after dropping Mindy off and put Ethan and Elle in the childcare, then headed to the pool. I got into the water at 8:50. I really like this warmup, and it was kind of fun doing the ladder like that. That way I didn't have to count 38 laps all at once. I tried to only rest for about 10-15 after each set. It took me an hour and 10 minutes to do that, and I was pretty tired by then. I wasn't exactly taking it easy, and my legs were still sore from yesterday's bike.

Then it was time to do my 100s. I wanted to start at 2:00 then cut 5 seconds off each time, but I couldn't quite do this. My first one was 1:55, and my fastest one was 1:43. I felt like I was going to die doing that too! The second time around I didn't get quite that fast, my last one was 1:47 I think. I can't remember - too many numbers!

In total I was in the pool for 1:40, but I did a total of 3900 yards. The Ironman will be approx. 4000 yards so I've about got it. I think I could have done another 100. Plus I won't be taking breaks so hopefully it will be faster. I'm shooting for 1:30 for my Ironman.

Someone asked me the other day what finish time I'm shooting for, and I told her I'd never really figured it out. Well, now I have. I'd like to do the swim in 1:30, the bike in 7, and I hope I could do the marathon in 5:30 (since that's the time I got with a broken foot for crying out loud! But I also hadn't just swam 2.4 miles or rode 112 so that might have some effect too . . .) so that's 14 hours. I really hope to finish in 14 hours. That's a pretty tough goal, but I think it might be possible. Of course, I also sometimes think it might be possible to qualify for Kona. I mean, what if something happens to all the other women in my age group? What if only 3 or 4 of us show up? I am in probably the biggest and most competitive age group, but you never know! What if I just get to the race, and I'm so much faster than I thought I was? I know, I'm a little delusional. I saw this quote the other day that says,
"Deep down I always believe I can win."
FRANCIE LARRIEU SMITH
That's totally me. But is that such a bad attitude to have? I don't think so.

This afternoon I got the lawn mowed too, that should count as another workout. I even had to take a break in the middle for a snack because I started to get really hungry and shaky. I never let that happen when I'm working out. I should be careful about it in real life too. But, I did get it done, and now our back yard looks like a yard again, and not a field. Though, I do miss having a field behind our house . . . Oops, there I go reminiscing about Heber again. Sorry. I'm a city girl now, and I love it! :)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Colleen, I love that quote, i think you have to think that, i mean even if your going for your own personal best, it's the positive mind set.
    Remember when you are actually racing and have others around, you get into that mode, I think it makes it easier.
    I am so excited for you. I can't wait to see photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori. I'm so excited too! I will try to get my family to take as many photos as possible. I also want to have them take video, but we'll see how that goes. I mean, it was hard for me to shoot Pete's so I know it will be hard for them since they haven't done it as much and they'll have the kids to deal with. But hopefully I'll get a great movie out of it anyway! I've already got the soundtrack picked out.

    ReplyDelete