Sunday, February 15, 2009

18 Weeks to Ironman!

Man, these weeks are just flying by, aren't they? 

First of all, I would like to welcome all my new followers. I know you've been here for a little while, but I haven't officially welcomed you. So, welcome, and thank you for stopping by! The fact that I have 9 "followers" now just makes me so happy!

I'm going to put a little plug in here for the charity that I'm trying to raise money for with this Ironman. It's called Against Malaria. Here are some facts from their site:
  • 1-3 million people die per year of Malaria
  • 70% of them are children under 5 years old
  • Malaria is the largest killer of pregnant women
  • Malaria is preventable and treatable
  • A net is the most effective means of prevention 
100% of the money they raise goes towards long lasting insecticidal nets (LLIN). Every US$100 they raise equals 20 nets in place and saves the life of one child.

I've never tried to raise money before, and I'm not very good at asking people to do stuff like this, so I really need your help. I hope this blog will end up being a way to save some lives. I've been thinking lately that it would be really cool to raise enough money for 140.3 nets because this is the total distance I will be doing in the Ironman. Each net is $5 so that would be...$701.50. According to their statistics, that would save about 7 lives. That doesn't sound like much, but it sure would make a difference to them. I know I can do it with your help, dear readers!

If  you have any advice for me on raising money for a charity, then I would love to hear it. Also, if you could mention me, my Ironman and this cause on your blog, I think that would help a lot. Just link to fasterthanpete.com (that's easy to remember right?) to send them here, or http://www.AgainstMalaria.com/colleensironman (almost as easy) to go directly to my sponsorship page.

No comments:

Post a Comment