Thursday, January 22, 2009

Inversion

[ Posted Wed, 21 Jan 2009 22:06:00 ]
Not my photo, but this is Salt Lake with inversion. This is what it looks like out there.
(not my photo, but this is about what it looks like out there)

“In meteorology, an inversion is a deviation from the normal change of an atmospheric property with altitude. It almost always refers to a temperature inversion, i.e., an increase in temperature with height, or to the layer within which such an increase occurs.

An inversion can lead to pollution such as smog being trapped close to the ground, with possible adverse effects on health.”

Strike 1 against Salt Lake City: Inversion.

I’d heard about inversion, but never really knew what it was or experienced it until now. It is really bad today. Just driving around in the car for half an hour is enough to make my eyes and throat start to sting, and my stomach get upset. Elle said, “I smell pizza,” when we went to pick Pete up. I wouldn’t want to try that pizza, maybe it got burnt or something?

When we first moved here (May 2008), we were so set on not adding to the pollution any more than we need to. We road our bikes and walked everywhere, and it was a wonderful life. It’s hard to do that when you join a gym 7 miles away, it’s 27 degrees outside in the middle of the day, and the air is to polluted to breath. When I picked Min up, a lot of the kids were covering their mouths when they came out. Yuck. I wish I could say I at least tried to drive less today, but I still made 2 trips to the gym (7 miles away) and 2 trips into town (2-4 miles away).

By the time we got home today, and had dinner, it was time to get the kids ready for bed. Pete stayed home with the kids and I got in our big pollution spilling car, and drove past the factories with smoke billowing out of them, to the gym to run by myself. So much for my master plan.

I had a pretty good run, but I was a little disappointed in my time. I didn’t have a digital watch with me, so I don’t have an exact time, but it was around 29:45 for the 3 miles I did. I tried to run at a nice even pace until the last 2 laps of each mile, then I would run as fast as I could, then walk for half a lap before starting to run agin.

If nothing else, training for this Ironman will teach me how to count.

No comments:

Post a Comment