Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sick Days

I haven’t done anything since last Friday (a whole week ago!) when I did a really pathetic swim workout. It was pathetic partially because I took my 6-year-old daughter with me to give her little swimming lessons between my sets, but it was also pathetic because I was getting sick. I was really having a hard time making my 55 second laps, so when I could see that she was getting really cold, I decided to get out even though I had one more set of 6 to do.


That night I got a fever and felt awful, and I’ve been sick ever since with this dang cold and pink eye - care of my beautiful, but not germ-free daughters.


Whenever I miss a workout I get really scared.


I hope this doesn’t come back to bite me. When I was training for the Marathon, I hurt my hip and ended up taking like 3 weeks off, and that really did me in. Pete suggested I just drop out of the marathon because I have something bigger to train for, but I thought I’d be fine because my hip got better and I got some good long runs in. Unfortunately for my heel, I didn’t do quite enough long runs. I ended up with a stress fracture which made me unable to run the last 6 miles of the marathon, and unable to run for the next three months.


Ok, I’ve done 2-20 minute runs since then, but does that even count? I’ve been planning to get back into running with the new year. That meant this week. Now I’m sick, so it will have to be next week. I’m hoping that this is early enough in the season that it won’t hurt me too badly. I know that I need to give my body rest when it needs it, that’s just as important as getting the hours in training. I hope.


Being sick has also gives me a lot more time to spend on the computer. I’ve been thinking today how much I miss making wedding videos. I don’t have anything to be passionate about right now, other than my husband, my kids, swimming, biking and running…. Anyway, I was thinking I’d like to try and get back into it, but I think that will have to wait until I’m done with the Ironman like everything else. I’ll be plenty busy this spring without a bunch of weddings to go to, and I would like to see me family a little bit. I sure do love weddings though.

No comments:

Post a Comment