Thursday, January 22, 2009

Who Needs Sleep?

[ Posted Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:37:30 ]

This morning, Elle woke up at 3:00, and I didn’t get her to go back to sleep until around 4:00 after she had her cheese stick and raisins in her bed. Am I a terrible mother for allowing that? When I got her back to bed, I laid there forever trying to go back to sleep, but I couldn’t. I had too much to think about, and I started getting depressed about my computer being broken, and that I’m not doing wedding videos anymore, and about all the broken doors in our house (Elle’s door is coming off the hinges, and all the closet doors are falling, or already off). Is this what’s going to happen when I skip working out for the day? The night before, after swimming and running, my bed was so comfortable and I slept so good all night. I don’t know when the last time that happened, and it was so nice!


So, no more taking “extra days off.”


This morning, I took my time getting to the gym, but it was OK because Ethan doesn’t have school on Fridays so I didn’t have to rush back. By the time I got there, though, the day care was full so we had to wait around for a while before the kids could go in. Once I dropped them off, I went and swam for 40 minutes straight, after a warm up of 1 kick board lap and 4 pull buoy and paddles laps.


It was a good amount of swimming, I haven’t done a long swim for a while. I wish I could tell you how many laps I did, but I have no idea. I can’t count laps to save my life. Ok, maybe to save my life, but I have to do it like this: I count my laps using letters because I’m also counting my strokes, and that way it doesn’t mess me up. Then, in order to remember what letter I’m on, I think of an animal or object that starts with that letter (I’m around kids all day so this is pretty easy for me), then imagine counting those animals or objects as I count my strokes. I didn’t want to deal with that today though, so I was just counting my strokes. I can do this pretty well for the first 20 laps or so, “one, two, three, breath, four five six, breath…” But at around 30 laps my counting starts to sound like this, “four, five, six, breath, four, five, six, breath…” and I start getting really low stroke counts. Then by the time I get to 40, I’m counting like this, “hmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm, breath, hmmm, hmmm, hmmm…”


The funny thing is that I don’t feel real comfortable in the water until I do 30 laps or so. I need to remember this when I get out in open water. I’m going to feel perfectly comfortable in half an hour so just keep swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment