Thursday, March 26, 2009

Awesome Run Day

This morning I brought Ethan and Elle to the daycare for 2 hours and did both of my workouts inside at the gym.  Here's what I did:
R: 45 minutes with strides every 5 minutes. Mostly RPE 3.

S: 8 x 300 as 2x(300 easy, 300 kick, 300 easy, 300 pull)
Doing strides is just fun! When I saw that I got to do them today, I was so excited because, to tell you the truth, I'm getting sick of all this "recovery" business. I had a great run. I kept wanting to go faster, but then I would check my heart-rate and say, "Wow, 177 is way too high!" and try to get it back down to 150 in between strides. The fun thing about strides are that you get to feel really fast for 20 seconds. I love just flying past everyone else on the track!

At one point, I even had the fast lady (Or, as Elle would call her, the orange and white lady) passed me again and I tried to stay close enough to pass her when my next stride came. I caught up to her and passed her quickly, then, "Dang, 177 again!" I ended my stride and she just passed me right back up. This lady is pretty much always there when I go run, and I'm glad she's there. I kind of have a goal to get as fast as her someday. She's kind of an inspiration to me, and it's not like she's running that much faster than me to make it an unrealistic goal. I wonder how fast she does run. Maybe one of these days I'll get the courage up to talk to her. 

I DID run faster today, though! I did 5 miles at exactly 45:11!! That is a hair away from 9-minute miles! I know some of you are looking around saying, "She thinks that's fast?" But, for me, it is. I was so excited when I got to mile 4 and saw that it had only been 35 minutes. I couldn't believe it, I mean, I was going pretty slow between strides to get my heart-rate down - at least, I was trying to go slow anyway. Then I realized it might be possible to finish 5 miles in my 45 minutes! This of course, made it hard to take it easy between strides, but I think I did ok at it. I'm just so excited that I did 9-minute miles for 5 miles! Wahoo! Maybe all that recovery business really did me good!

As soon as I walked one lap to cool-down, I headed down to change and get into the pool. It was nice and cool and felt so good, my face was red-hot after that run! I was quite a site, I'm sure. 

The swim was nice and easy, and I stretched my arms and legs in between my sets of 300.  (Oh, dang, I just realized that I only did 4 sets of 300. I didn't do everything twice like I was supposed to. Oops. No wonder it was so nice and easy!)

I got the kids out of the daycare just before they were in there for 2 hours. I hate leaving them in there for that long, but it was nice to have all my workouts done for the day without having to wake up at 4:30 am. This is my recovery week remember? ;) 

We even had time for the kids to play on the climbing wall for a few minutes before we hurried home to have lunch and get Ethan to preschool. They get so excited about little things like that. I got to stretch a little more while they climbed/played around too.

No comments:

Post a Comment