Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"The sun did not shine. . . .

It was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house
All that cold, cold, wet day.

Oh no, not me. I'm not going to let a little rain get in my way! 
I say:

I know it is wet
And the sun is not sunny.
But we can have 
Lots of good fun that is funny!
- The Cat In The Hat by Dr. Seuss

Today I took Elle with me to the gym after dropping Mindy off at school. Pete was working from home so Ethan wanted to stay with him (he probably played on the computer the whole time.). I planned on getting back by 9:30 for preschool because I had a pretty quick swim, but of course that didn't happen.

Here's my plan for the day:
S: recovery swim
5 x 200
150 easy

B: 60 minutes, same as yesterday, just spinning and lots of stretching.
I kept reminding myself that this was a "recovery swim," but it's hard to take it easy when you're trying to hurry at the same time. At least I got home in time to get Pete to his meeting on time and that was the important thing.

It rained and it rained and it rained, all day. What could I do on this "wet, wet, wet day"? Well, I went for a bike ride of course!

I bundled up pretty good because it was really cold, and put on my rain jacket that has a special hood made to go over your helmet without getting in the way of your vision. I put Elle in the bike trailer with a pillow and blankets and closed the cover nice and tight. I got her so nice and comfy that she went to sleep right away and slept the whole time until we got to the ducks at the end of our ride. I have never really road in the rain like that before, and it was pretty much the same except I had to avoid the puddles for Elle's sake (I don't know if the bike trailer was made to take that much water), and my sunglasses kept getting water drops on them. It was pretty good other than the fact that I forgot to put my toe covers on, and my toes were pretty much numb for half the ride. I was glad it was only an hour ride.

When we got to the ducks, Elle was just so happy! It made all the difference for her to be able to look at the ducks for 5 minutes. She loved it, it was great! Then we came home and had hot chocolate which is a good recovery drink when you've had a cold ride, especially if you make it with milk so you get the protein and dark chocolate so you get the antioxidants.  I tried not to complain about my toes being cold too much, whenever I start to do that I just need to think of the people in the Donnor Party again. My toes never were cold!

Distance Update:
Since I bought my new running shoes, I have run 113.7 miles in those babies! I wanted to tell you when I got to the 100-mile mark, but I hadn't added it up in a while so sorry about that. 113.7 is pretty cool, though. I will add more tomorrow!

Then our mother came in
And she said to us two,
"Did you have any fun?
Tell me. What did you do?"

And Sally and I did not know
What to say.
Should we tell her
The things that wen on there that day?

Should we tell her about it?
Now, what SHOULD we do?
Well . . . 
What would YOU do
If your mother asked YOU?
-One of my favorite books to read to my kids

No comments:

Post a Comment