Monday, March 2, 2009

Looong Day

Today was the big day of Pete's surgery. I did manage to go get my swim done in the morning, though. Here is my plan for the day:
S: speed day
wu: 250 alternating each 50 swim and kick
main: 400, 4 x 100, 300, 3 x 100, 200, 2x100
long intervals are RPE 4, 100s are at RPE 7-8
(alternate, remove 1st 400)
cd: 3 x 75, each slower than last
I did the 400 in exactly 8 minutes. I was able to keep my 100s between 1:45 - 1:55 (mostly 1:50), the 300 was 6:05 (I rationalized that this was because I probably took 5 seconds to talk to a lady who wanted to share lanes with me since the water aerobics people were spilling over into the lane she was going to use. She was fast too!), and the 200 was 4:05 (no excuse for this...)

Last night, Pete and I watched Spirit of the Marathon which is a documentary that follows 6 people who do the Chicago Marathon in (I think) 2002. If you haven't seen it, I would recommend it. It's very inspirational, and I was about to cry a couple times. I know that's not a big surprise, it seems like I'm always talking about how this made me cry, or I was about to cry because of that.... Anyway, 40,000 people do that marathon! Can you even imagine being part of something like that? It really made us both want to do the Chicago Marathon. It looks really cool - it goes all through the city with several thousands of spectators to cheer you on. 

It was really cool just to see all the different types of people who do Marthons. There are those who do it to win, those who do it with a group, and those who just do it themselves. One of the ladies was talking about those who train alone, and she said, "I question their sanity," and Pete and I just had to smile at each other. We both really enjoy training by ourselves. I mean, it's fun to go out with a group sometimes, but it's really just about me and what I can do. It would be kind of weird to go running with someone else actually. I tried it on the marathon, and that didn't end well. I need to set my own pace. I guess if you're used to running with someone then it wouldn't be a problem, though.

Back to today: I only did 2 x 75 to cool down because I was anxious to get back to Pete. Luckily he just slept the whole time, though.

I have a friend who had offered to pick Ethan and Mindy up from school, so I just dropped Ethan off at school, then took Elle with me to take Pete to the hospital. Elle was so spoiled there. Everyone just loved her, and one CNA or Nurse (I don't know what he was) brought her some graham crackers, pudding and juice and turned cartoons on for her. This was really good because we didn't end up getting to dinner until after 7. 

It was nice that I didn't have to worry about picking the kids up and Elle took a little nap on my lap in the waiting room, but I had to go pick them up at 4 to take Mindy to ballet. Then went back to the hospital to wait for Pete to get out. I told the kids, "Let's go find out where Daddy is." Elle knew right where he was though, she said, "He's with that green guy." The guy who took Pete back to surgery was wearing green scrubs. It was pretty cute that she remembered that. She was also calling his nurse "the pink lady" later. I didn't get any word from the surgion by 6, though, then I had to go pick Mindy up. 

When we went back this time, they showed us into his room and he was in a lot of pain. Poor guy. It took a while to get him discharged. This kids were seriously driving me crazy, the were bouncing off the walls (I should have known better than to give them cookies in the waiting room....), and Pete had to remind me that a hospital is not a good place to threaten violence to your children. Good reality check. 

Now we're home, and I just hope he can sleep tonight. He's in a lot more pain now then he was before. For some reason I was all excited for the surgery, thinking it would feel better for him to have his bones put back in place and ready to start healing. This was a silly thing for me to think. Of course it's going to feel worse to have them cut him open and screw some mettle plates to his bones. I think a lot of silly things sometimes.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get a workout in tomorrow. We'll see how he's doing.


  1. oh dear, poor Pete. Best best wishes for a speedy recovery. Thanks for the help re this dum computer. i give up, i'm not meant for comments. ah well, I hope you are taking good care of Colleen, too.

  2. I will do my best to take care of myself. I have a headache now, and I'm going to bed. I'm sorry your comments aren't working right.