Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

March 10, 2001 - St. George, UT Temple

Today is Mine and Pete's 8th anniversary! We made it past the 7-year itch, and it didn't even feel a bit scratchy. :)

I saved my "Flashback Friday" for today because I wanted to flash back to when Pete and I first met today.

When I was in college, my roommate had a boyfriend who was also in our student ward, and one day he asked me if I knew the guy who worked at the computer lab for my program at school who was in our ward. I couldn't think of who he was talking about. A short while later, I went into the computer lab, and there was a guy working there who I didn't know so I asked him if he was in my ward. He was. I remember he was reading some fantasy book, and he assured me that he usually doesn't read fantasy books.

He started off asking me all about my roommate who he thought was cute, and for the next couple of weeks (it turned out that we also had a class together) he was trying to get me to hook him up with her. That soon passed, though, and we just started hanging out all the time. He'd take me rock climbing and I'd cook him dinner.


This picture was taken when we just barely started dating. (yes, I just took a picture of my scrapbook, sorry)

Our first date was to see a comedian. It was a free show on campus so he hadn't even really planed it as a date, he just asked me if I wanted to go with the qualifier, "But it's not a date." So I said, "Why, don't you want to go on a date with me?" He said he did, so from there on out it was a date. It was Frank Caliendo and he was so funny (much more funny then I've ever seen him be on TV)! It was awesome. When we first got there, Pete said something about how if I had a good time, I would associate that with him which I thought was cute. I think we went to Denny's or something after the show. I can't really remember, but I do remember having a great time. We doubled with his friend and the girl he liked. They ended up getting married a year after us, so I'd say this was a pretty darn good first date.

Here's a picture of us about a month later. I was 19 and he was 21. Wow, that sounds so young now! We were married almost exactly 1 year after we started dating, in the St. George Temple. Life has just been wonderful ever since.

--------------------------------------------------
Today my training plan said:
R: 60 minutes easy run with strides every 5 minutes.
B: 2 hours, mostly easy pace, find some rolling hills if possible
I dropped Mindy off at school, then I put off running as long as I could, cleaning the kitchen, because it was so cold! Finally, I got myself all layered up and went for a run on the Jordan River Parkway trail. The ground was a little bit icy so I had to be careful not so slip. I got to the golf course in 24 minutes. It used to take me half an hour to get there when we first moved here 10 months ago. Maybe that means I'm faster now, but maybe it means I don't have a very good memory or I wasn't very exact on my timing back then.

I got back just in time to take Pete to his doctor appointment, then we rushed home, and had sandwiches in the car on the way to take Ethan to school and Pete to work. Elle was asleep when we got home so I could have gotten on the trainer and did almost the 2-hour bike ride before picking the kids up, but I really just felt like I wanted to stop moving for a few minutes. That's what I'm doing now. Well, my fingers are moving, but it's hard for me to completely stop moving.

Tomorrow's supposed to be a day off, but I think I'll switch that with the Sunday workout in order to keep Sunday as my day off. I already feel bad that the race is on a Sunday. I only found out after I signed up for this one, that there is an Ironman distance race in California that takes place on a Saturday. I would have rather done that, but it's too late now. I'm pretty invested in this one.

10 comments:

  1. Good times!! "Have a piece of pie" (wasn't that from that comedian?!?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun pictures, I had forgotten that your anniversary is so close to ours. I can't believe it's been eight years though! I remember it pretty well considering it wasn't my wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, "Have a piece of pie." So funny! "My grandma kind of sounds like Adam Sandler."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's cool that you remember our wedding so well! :) I think that was the first time I met you wasn't it? And Zoe was just a little baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary!! (I also remember your anniversary because you were on your honeymoon when Adam and I met!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The good old days. What an amazing year at Dixie College.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary guys:D Hope you had a great time!Thanks for sharing your story

    love
    chaitra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! you two are so cute, great photos. and don't worry, i take pictures of pictures all the time, im way to lazy to scan...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing pictures... Amazing story... congratulations...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone! What great readers I have!

    ReplyDelete