Saturday, March 21, 2009

Wind Wisdom

This morning when I woke up, I again felt sick and thought about canceling this workout, but, as Pete reminded me, this was the last workout for the week and I will have done them all! Plus I get 2 rest days after today. 

Here is what my training plan says:
B: 3 hours long bike. If your breakfast routine last week worked, repeat it
again here, if not, experiment with something new.
R: 30 minutes recovery at RPE2
I was supposed to use the same breakfast routine as last week, but last week I rode in the afternoon, and had whole wheat pancakes with blueberries. Today I wanted to leave by around 8:00 (though, this didn't exactly happen) and we didn't have baking powder or maple to make pancakes so I just had my usual oatmeal.  Another thing I didn't have was Hammer Gel. This is what I used last week along with my Perpetuem, and since I didn't have any this week, I just mixed up some thick Perpetuem to put in my flask. 

I did the same route as last week. This time I knew the route so I didn't have to spend as much time looking around or wondering where I was, I just tried to go as far as I could in an hour an a half. I kept imagining that google map and hoping I could get some more mileage in.

Coming down the first big hill, the wind was gusting really hard, and I actually yelled, "Woah!" because it was really pushing me sideways. I didn't get scared, though, I just kept going. I should have realized, after feeling this and turning in the direction the wind was blowing, that the wind would helping me out a lot, and also hurt me coming back. I was so excited when I zoomed past where I turned around last week, though, and I kept going for quite a while. I actually made it to a new town! Kaysville!

Then I turned around and remembered the wind. Holy Cow, it was blowing really hard! I had to fight against it pretty much the whole way home, so the way that I had planned on being easier ended up being a lot harder. I also road on Beck Street on the way back because I thought that would be easier, but it wasn't as downhill as the bike path would have been so that was kind of a bummer. It wasn't too bad to ride on, though. There is a pretty big shoulder. 

It took me 2 hours to get home, and I was pushing really hard. My total distance was 46.2 miles. I did that in 3 1/2 hours so that means my total was 13.2 miles an hour. That is better than last week's 37.6 miles which was 12.53 miles per hour. A little more than half a mile faster an hour. With that speed, I would finish the 112 miles in 8:48. Ug, that's still a really long time!

Anyway, when I got home, I ran for half an hour. I went really slow. I was really tired, and by the time I got home I kind of felt like I was going to throw up. I don't know if this was because of all the Perpetuem or if it was just because I pushed it so hard on the bike. I didn't feel good, though.

After a bath, some food, a chocolate protein shake (Thanks for going and getting that for me, Pete. You are a life-saver!) and some time, I felt better. We actually took our kids, and my friend Ann's "Little Ethan," to The Living Planet Aquarium. We met my dad there so we were able to keep pretty good track of all the kids. It was hard work because there were so many people there, but it was a lot of fun too. They had some cool stuff there and the kids were all really excited! We had dinner at Simply Thai on the way home, and our Ethan was the only kid to eat. Oh well, I'd say it was a pretty successful outing by my lack of wanting to pull my hair out.  Now everyone's asleep and I can finally relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment