Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I Spoke Too Soon!

This morning I stayed in bed until 9! I couldn't even believe it! How am I ever going to get back into school mode?

My training plan for today was:
Bike: 120 minutes with long tempo work
wu: 15 minutes RPE 3 working to 4 by end
main: 90 minutes at RPE 5-7 steady mix of aero and non
cd: 15 minutes at RPE 2-3.
It was raining all morning and I kept looking out the window, hoping it would clear up. I couldn't decide if I wanted to try and find a baby-sitter so I could ride outside or just ride on the trainer. I tried not to think about it too much and got the kitchen and the floors clean. They were needing it badly!

I was about to say, "Ok, I'm just going to call a baby-sitter so I can ride outside," when Mindy said, "It's snowing!" Sure enough, millions of big fluffy snow flakes were falling from the sky. I waited it out and we had lunch, then I looked and it had stopped. I was hopeful, but when I told Mindy it wasn't snowing anymore she said, "Yes it is," and I looked again - it was snowing again. This is what I get for saying "At least it's not snow" yesterday.

Min said, "You can't ride outside if it's snowing, I guess you'll just have to ride inside." She had picked up Ella Enchanted at the library yesterday and knew that if I rode on the trainer, I would let them watch a movie. Well, she won on this one because I wasn't about to track down a baby-sitter so I could go riding for 2 hours in the snow. Brr! Plus, I secretly wanted to watch the movie too. I'm a sucker for fairy tails. 

The good thing about riding the trainer is that I can multi-task. I LOVE multitasking. I can ride my bike while:
  1. baking bread (I just had to hop of for a few minutes to take it out of the oven at the right time)
  2. giving Elle a nap (of course, she didn't nap today, but it could work)
  3. watching a movie
  4. spending time with my kids. 
It's a win-win situation!

I knew that I would have to be careful not to let myself go too easy if I was watching a movie so I put it on a semi-hard gear,  and tried to keep my heart-rate above 150 by pedaling at around 90 rpm. I don't know if this was high enough. It was pretty hard, but not too bad. It's weird that a 2-hour ride is no big deal now when it used to be my long ride.

The movie was cute in that anachronistic, alternate fairy tail kind of way. I liked it, and Mindy and Ethan liked it, but Elle did not. She was in playing with Barbies by the end.

That ride counts right? So far, I've gotten all my workouts in for the week, and just because I did some of them on the trainer, doesn't mean I didn't do them. So why do I feel like such a slacker? I think it's because I'm not getting much else done. But I have to just come to terms with the fact that I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this training for the next few months. Then I'll have time to do everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment