Monday, April 13, 2009

Spring Break!

It is spring break for the kids this week so I got to sleep in this morning! Well, I don't know  if "sleep" is the right word because Elle came and got in bed with me at about 7. I got to stay in bed until about 8 when Ethan came in, though. He put his head close to Elle and she hugged it and said, "I love you, Ethan." 

He said, "I love you too." Then, "Do you want to get up?" 

She said, "It's not time to get up yet." 

He says, "Yes it is, look at the sky." I told him she didn't have to get up if she didn't want to so he left. Then she got up and followed him. It was just the sweetest morning!
We took our time with breakfast, that no one ate because they had all been eating their Easter candy all morning. Then I dropped Pete off at work and headed up to the gym so I could get started with my workouts for the day:
Swim: race-specific
wu: 2 x 75, last 25 in each is backstroke.
main: 3 x 600, first at RPE 4, 2 at RPE 8, 3 at RPE 4
cd: 150 easy
What does race-specific mean? I mean, wouldn't race-specific just be a long long swim in this case? I don't get it.

I did the first 600 in about 12:30, then the second one I did in 11:25, and the third one I did in 11:50. Twelve laps is a long time to go pretty much as hard as you can. RPE 8 is really high. It was good, though. I love  how calm and serene the pool is. I just thought today, as I started my first lap, that I just feel so at home there now. It's a nice way to exercise. I would recommend it. :) 

It was nice to not have to rush home afterwards. We took our time, the kids climbed on the climbing wall then we went to lunch at Rumbi. That was really good and the kids loved it, of course.

When we got home, we did a lot of cleaning, and Elle took a nap then they played outside really good while I mowed the whole lawn. This was cool because last year I couldn't mow the whole lawn without Elle needing me or something.  It was just such a nice day, I just really wanted to be outside. The  kids actually ended up getting their swimming suits on  and playing in the water.

After I picked Pete up, I hurried and did my bike ride:
Bike: 90minutes. Find hills, keep RPE 3-4 in flats, higher when climbing, include out of saddle and focus on constant pedaling even on downhills.
I was going to go up the same hills we ran up on Saturday, but then this long train pulled up and stopped right in the way so I ended up turning and heading up to Bountiful where I "found" some hills. They weren't crazy hills, but I'd say they were hard enough. I did get out of the saddle going up some of them, and I tried to keep pedaling constantly going back down, but when I got to 30 mph I just didn't really want to go any faster so I stopped there. This was on that same road where I got honked at that one time, and my top speed was 35 mph so there, I was going the speed limit. I know, that's not very fast, but it was fast enough for me. At least on that road.

I did 21.6 miles in 1:36. My average speed was 14.4 which is not very fast, but there were some good hills in there so I think it was ok. I was going a lot faster than that a lot of the time. :)

It was just such a beautiful day today! I felt so bad because when I picked Pete up and told him I needed to do my ride still, he told me he'd been looking out the window all day and was planning on going out on his mountain bike. He said, "I did my Ironman, though. Now it's your turn." I just wish it would have been light for a few more hours so we both could have gone. It's supposed to rain tomorrow and the next day so I told the kids to enjoy the sun while it lasted.


  1. Aww.The kids are so sweet.Isn't it a beautiful way to get up in the morning.Instead of the harsh noise of a alarm clock :D


  2. It was the best! I wish we had every day off like this, I'm going to get spoiled this week!